Chances? 3.55 overall, 3.85 science/math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephD182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a senior right now and will receive a biology degree as well as a psychology degree in may.
My stats:
Overall cumulative is a 3.55
Overall science/math cumulative is a 3.85
...no, those aren't backwards. I dropped out of high school and had a rough start in college. My overall gpa is lower than my science math because I failed courses like "intro to college" , humanities, etc. because I didn't go to class.
I took my first biology class and after that I had straight A's for over 80 credits (all were science or math) and my gpa is still crap.
I have a CNA license
Award from the chemistry department
Highest score in all of my science classes.
I tutor at my university (cell bio, multiple chemistry classes, genetics, general bio, anatomy)
I spent 1 semester teaching a reading class to adults with cognitive disabilities.
Letters of recommendation from chemistry and physics department, tutoring center boss, and reading class organizer.
Next semester I plan on doing 3 credits worth of research on fetal alcohol syndrome (in the psych department)
No MCAT yet, but I was able to answer all practice problems in the bio and chemistry section of the practice test of my Kaplan book (a plus from tutoring all of the information). All I need to do is brush up on my physics.

Thoughts? Am I screwed from a few years of a crappy gpa and lack of volunteer work? I haven't had the time to volunteer because I spent so much time making up for my gpa and trying to graduate in a decent time frame so I was taking 17-21 credits of JUST science and math for a while. Next semester will be another 17 of just bio and chemistry...
Also, I'll be taking a year off while I wait for responses from med schools after I submit my application in July. During that time I hope to work as a CNA, volunteer tutor disadvantaged high school kids, and try to find someone to shadow (no luck so far).

Members don't see this ad.

You need to shadow before you apply, and if you can't shadow and get clinical experience before this next cycle rolls up, I would wait til the next cycle. Also study intensively for the MCAT, 'brushing up' will not cut it.

If you take care of those things, I think your chances are quite good if you apply broadly to middle and low tier and maybe sprinkle in some DO unless you want to wait for a potential second app year to add the DOs. The 3.55 isn't bad especially with your strong upward trend and sGPA. Best of luck! Just don't apply before you've made yourself comprehensively competitive.