Chances? 3.6 cGPA 3.5 sGPA 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leturbinator

Good luck everyone applying this year!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hope all is well. I hope everyone was able to successfully get into medical school, and if not, i wish you the best of luck in the upcoming cycle. I'm thinking of applying to mainly DO schools.

I thought I would post this up and see what sorts of responses I would get. I'm a NY resident, have over 100 hours of volunteering service, 80 hours of non-DO shadowing experience, over 100 hours of health-care field related work experience, and I did research internships for two summers.

I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT. I took it twice, first I got a 495, then I got a 502- I know that I can do better, is it worth the risk? Any and all help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I hope all is well. I hope everyone was able to successfully get into medical school, and if not, i wish you the best of luck in the upcoming cycle. I'm thinking of applying to mainly DO schools.

I thought I would post this up and see what sorts of responses I would get. I'm a NY resident, have over 100 hours of volunteering service, 80 hours of non-DO shadowing experience, over 100 hours of health-care field related work experience, and I did research internships for two summers.

I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT. I took it twice, first I got a 495, then I got a 502- I know that I can do better, is it worth the risk? Any and all help is appreciated!

I would retake it if you think you can improve, as in have the study time to get a better score.

Regardless, I think you stand a very good shot of getting in somewhere provided you apply broadly. Get a DO LOR if you can!

Good luck,

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same stats and got 14 interviews. You're fine just apply early and write good essays!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is fine for DO schools. Just apply broadly and on the first day AACOMAS is open. Pre-write your secondaries and submit within two weeks of receipt. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I have the same stats and got 14 interviews. You're fine just apply earlybwnd write good essays!
Honestly, this whole application cycle has me so nervous. Thank you so much, this makes me a lot more confident now!!

You're fine for all but the top (statwise) DO schools. Only retake if you're confident you can score significantly higher. You don't want to retake it and end up with a lower score.

I would not retake if you want to apply this upcoming cycle. Apply right when AACOMAS opens and apply broadly.

I have approximately same stats and have 8 interview invited
You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Echoing those above. You are golden! Retake if you feel like you can significantly improve (508+), but I personally wouldn't in your case.

First time post just really wanted advice. In a similar situation got a 500 MCAT 3.86 gpa. Have good clinical experience. I wanted to know if you guys think retaking the MCAT would be good and my shot at getting in. I have it in a couple weeks and have been averaging from a 500-505 on the practice tests. Looking to apply to DO schools this cycle any advice would be very helpful. (also I am a reapplicant). I applied last cycle pretty late and got wait-listed at UNE-COM and NYITCOM.

First time post just really wanted advice. In a similar situation got a 500 MCAT 3.86 gpa. Have good clinical experience. I wanted to know if you guys think retaking the MCAT would be good and my shot at getting in. I have it in a couple weeks and have been averaging from a 500-505 on the practice tests. Looking to apply to DO schools this cycle any advice would be very helpful. (also I am a reapplicant). I applied last cycle pretty late and got wait-listed at UNE-COM and NYITCOM.
IMO if you got waitlisted at those two places (which are pretty competitive) i don't think you necessarily need to retake the mcat. Just apply early and broadly.

IMO if you got waitlisted at those two places (which are pretty competitive) i don't think you necessarily need to retake the mcat. Just apply early and broadly.

Thank you so much for the response, any schools in particular?

Thank you so much for the response, any schools in particular?
That depends on you- location, demographic, mission, board scores, etc. If I were you, I'd take a look at the AACOMAS Osteopathic Handbook to get an idea of what's best.

I had about the same stats and have had 8 interviews! Apply broadly though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile