Chances? 3.6 cGPA 3.5 sGPA 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leturbinator

Good luck everyone applying this year!
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I hope all is well. I hope everyone was able to successfully get into medical school, and if not, i wish you the best of luck in the upcoming cycle. I'm thinking of applying to mainly DO schools.

I thought I would post this up and see what sorts of responses I would get. I'm a NY resident, have over 100 hours of volunteering service, 80 hours of non-DO shadowing experience, over 100 hours of health-care field related work experience, and I did research internships for two summers.

I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT. I took it twice, first I got a 495, then I got a 502- I know that I can do better, is it worth the risk? Any and all help is appreciated!
 
Hello everyone!

I hope all is well. I hope everyone was able to successfully get into medical school, and if not, i wish you the best of luck in the upcoming cycle. I'm thinking of applying to mainly DO schools.

I thought I would post this up and see what sorts of responses I would get. I'm a NY resident, have over 100 hours of volunteering service, 80 hours of non-DO shadowing experience, over 100 hours of health-care field related work experience, and I did research internships for two summers.

I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT. I took it twice, first I got a 495, then I got a 502- I know that I can do better, is it worth the risk? Any and all help is appreciated!

I would retake it if you think you can improve, as in have the study time to get a better score.

Regardless, I think you stand a very good shot of getting in somewhere provided you apply broadly. Get a DO LOR if you can!

Good luck,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're fine for all but the top (statwise) DO schools. Only retake if you're confident you can score significantly higher. You don't want to retake it and end up with a lower score.
 
First time post just really wanted advice. In a similar situation got a 500 MCAT 3.86 gpa. Have good clinical experience. I wanted to know if you guys think retaking the MCAT would be good and my shot at getting in. I have it in a couple weeks and have been averaging from a 500-505 on the practice tests. Looking to apply to DO schools this cycle any advice would be very helpful. (also I am a reapplicant). I applied last cycle pretty late and got wait-listed at UNE-COM and NYITCOM.
 
First time post just really wanted advice. In a similar situation got a 500 MCAT 3.86 gpa. Have good clinical experience. I wanted to know if you guys think retaking the MCAT would be good and my shot at getting in. I have it in a couple weeks and have been averaging from a 500-505 on the practice tests. Looking to apply to DO schools this cycle any advice would be very helpful. (also I am a reapplicant). I applied last cycle pretty late and got wait-listed at UNE-COM and NYITCOM.
IMO if you got waitlisted at those two places (which are pretty competitive) i don't think you necessarily need to retake the mcat. Just apply early and broadly.
 
Thank you so much for the response, any schools in particular?
That depends on you- location, demographic, mission, board scores, etc. If I were you, I'd take a look at the AACOMAS Osteopathic Handbook to get an idea of what's best.