Chances? 3.74 sGPA and 30O MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physwannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, what are my chances if I have a 3.74 sGPA and a 30O MCAT? Just graduated last semester and I'm now working a F/T job. Worked as a volunteer EMT at a local ambulance for about 2 years, plus 3 years of volunteering at a local nursing home. Shadowed an urgent care doctor for 5 weeks (5-6 hours/week). I graduated with double majors in Biochem and Spanish, also went to Guatemala and volunteered there as a firefighter for 2 months. Have one summer research experience at my college. I can probably obtain very strong LORs from my professors or the committee. Thinking of applying early for the upcomming cycle. My concern would be a low MCAT comparing to the average. I'm a California resident. Any advices or suggestions are well appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you can get some MD acceptances as long as you apply broadly and early. Definitely add in a good amount of OOS schools since you're a CA resident.

What's important for you with regards to school? Location, money, curriculum, etc?

EDIT: yes your mcat is a point before average but do you think you could do much better? How'd you score on the practices?

Thanks for the reply! I guess my preferences for school would be mainly tuition cost and curriculum (rotations), other than that I am not too picky about where to get settled for the next four years. I've been thinking about retaking the MCAT, but the cost associated with it is just too great for me to handle. It's gonna be a time consuming process and I can't gurantee I will improve my score that much. I've been scoring 35's on the practices, but I guess real life is a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you can secure a 35+ if you retake, that really might not be a bad idea. It would give your application a big boost! But even without a retake, you've got decent chances :)

Your best bet is to get the MSAR, identify at least a dozen OOS schools with a median MCAT near yours and a history of accepting a significant number of OOS applicants. Your chances at MD schools in CA is small except Loma Linda (if you share their mission).

Most applicants who re-take a 30 don't help their application. They usually delay, miss opportunities and end up with a similar score. There are plenty of schools that will interview you with a 30 (just not in CA).