Chances: 30S Mcat and ~3.7 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastlane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently got my MCAT scores back and have been doing a lot of thinking.

I ended up scoring a 30S (12, 8 10), which was a disappointment. I was hitting between 30-36 on practice exams and hit the bottom of my range. After the test I felt pretty ****ty, so I am sure if I retake I WILL improve my score. Not sure if it is worth the time though.

Okay, so here are my stats: (Asian male)
-I go to a state school, Bio-engineering major, and currently have about a 3.7 GPA. When I graduate it will be around 3.75 (been bringing it up since a 3.3 freshman year).
-Member of Honors College
-Member of a Fraternity - treasurer 5 semesters, directing position 1 semester
-Member of a couple clubs for the past 3 years but no positions or anything
-2 publications in my School's undergraduate research journal (1st and 3rd author).
-1 publication submitted: Journal of Neurosurgery, 2nd author (should be accepted).
-research Junior & Senior year in one bioengineering lab (1 pub), one poster presentation at a bioengineering consortium
-Another research senior year at medical college w/ acute lung injury (no pub)
-REU program last summer
-Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon about a year ago, planning on shadowing more doctors between now and next june.
-volunteering: tutoring in fraternity, hospital in highschool
-CNA certified, worked as CNA for 1 year during highschool
I'll add more as I think of them.

I just want to apply to the main illinois medical schools like UIC, RUSH, and Loyola. I will also apply broadly to others as well. Also planning on applying to D.O. schools.
Do you think I will get screened out because of my 8 in verbal? I COULD retake the MCAT and score better, but rather than dumping 100s of hours into studying for the exam again, I could be using it more productively to put out publications and volunteering.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that putting 100 of those potential study hours into updating your clinical experience since the HS years will help your application more than the 8% improvement in chances that 2 more points on the MCAT would give. I'd put some more of the time saved (~40ish hours) into shadowing that includes a primary care doc and also some (50+ hours) into regular off-campus (weekly to twice monthly) nonmedical community service for a cause you care about.

Illinois is a good state to be from if you have a VS of 8.

So you think I should skip the MCAT retake? I am studying for the GRE in December, so I will be busy with that for the whole month.

If anything - I could possibly study for the MCAT during the school year January - April with easy classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your GPA stays high with its excellent upward grade trend, I would not retake the MCAT unless you are consistently scoring at least 3 more points on repeated practice tests. I think you have a good chance of an acceptance as you are, so long as you will be happy not atending a highly-selective med school.

Why would you be taking the GRE? If you are thinking about an MD/PhD, then those programs are all very selective and you would definitely need a stronger MCAT score.

I was thinking of completing a 1 year master's program during my year off of school.

(Asian male)

^i stopped reading after this. it made what i thought at first was an impressive list of achievements into quite normal. you're probably going to want to retake that mcat just to make sure you get what your looking for imho... btw don't take this post the wrong way.

A rough rule of thumb is that the MD schools like a min of 10/10/10 ("triple doubles"), but it's not iron-clad. I think you'll be fine with your choices below. You might want to try Rosy Franklin as well.

And you're a lock for any DO school.

I concur with the other poster that you definitely need to get some more patient contact vol experience to make you look more attractive. Otherwise, be prepared for the "why not Phd" questions.

good luck!

Hey guys, I just recently got my MCAT scores back and have been doing a lot of thinking.

I ended up scoring a 30S (12, 8 10), which was a disappointment. I was hitting between 30-36 on practice exams and hit the bottom of my range. After the test I felt pretty ****ty, so I am sure if I retake I WILL improve my score. Not sure if it is worth the time though.

Okay, so here are my stats: (Asian male)
-I go to a state school, Bio-engineering major, and currently have about a 3.7 GPA. When I graduate it will be around 3.75 (been bringing it up since a 3.3 freshman year).
-Member of Honors College
-Member of a Fraternity - treasurer 5 semesters, directing position 1 semester
-Member of a couple clubs for the past 3 years but no positions or anything
-2 publications in my School's undergraduate research journal (1st and 3rd author).
-1 publication submitted: Journal of Neurosurgery, 2nd author (should be accepted).
-research Junior & Senior year in one bioengineering lab (1 pub), one poster presentation at a bioengineering consortium
-Another research senior year at medical college w/ acute lung injury (no pub)
-REU program last summer
-Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon about a year ago, planning on shadowing more doctors between now and next june.
-volunteering: tutoring in fraternity, hospital in highschool
-CNA certified, worked as CNA for 1 year during highschool
I'll add more as I think of them.

I just want to apply to the main illinois medical schools like UIC, RUSH, and Loyola. I will also apply broadly to others as well. Also planning on applying to D.O. schools.
Do you think I will get screened out because of my 8 in verbal? I COULD retake the MCAT and score better, but rather than dumping 100s of hours into studying for the exam again, I could be using it more productively to put out publications and volunteering.

Thoughts?

(Asian male)

^i stopped reading after this. it made what i thought at first was an impressive list of achievements into quite normal. you're probably going to want to retake that mcat just to make sure you get what your looking for imho... btw don't take this post the wrong way.

No offense taken - you were correct with what you said!

What type of masters and for what reason?

A masters degree in bioengineering. I am slightly hesitating though because multiple people have told me that nobody actually finished their master's degree in 1 year even though the program is set up that way.

A rough rule of thumb is that the MD schools like a min of 10/10/10 ("triple doubles"), but it's not iron-clad. I think you'll be fine with your choices below. You might want to try Rosy Franklin as well.

And you're a lock for any DO school.

I concur with the other poster that you definitely need to get some more patient contact vol experience to make you look more attractive. Otherwise, be prepared for the "why not Phd" questions.

good luck!

Thanks for the advice Goro. I don't really have anything against D.O. schools, but I would prefer M.D. schools. Sucks knowing I could have scored higher on the MCAT but didn't. Part of me just wants to redo it for a pride thing, but the other part of me wants to be rational and not do all that studying over again!

Thanks for the advice Goro. I don't really have anything against D.O. schools, but I would prefer M.D. schools. Sucks knowing I could have scored higher on the MCAT but didn't. Part of me just wants to redo it for a pride thing, but the other part of me wants to be rational and not do all that studying over again!

Once you score a 30 with every section above an 8 it's really not a smart idea to retake especially if you can use that time towards your ECs.

A masters degree in bioengineering. I am slightly hesitating though because multiple people have told me that nobody actually finished their master's degree in 1 year even though the program is set up that way.
That's a pretty significant negative, especially since all med schools don't allow a year's deferral and you could get stuck reapplying.

This masters would not make you more competitive as a med school candidate (just so you're clear on that) but is a good option if you wish to master a certain discipline, or need to delay school loan paybacks. Having the masters is more helpful when it comes time to apply to residency programs.

This masters would not make you more competitive as a med school candidate (just so you're clear on that) but is a good option if you wish to master a certain discipline, or need to delay school loan paybacks.

Why would a master's degree not help my application much? I was under the assumption that it would help strengthen it a lot because it seems that many people complete a master's prior to applying to medical schools!

Why would a master's degree not help my application much?
You already have a good GPA and a masters GPA is not regarded by many schools anyway (due to presumed grade inflation), especially if it's not a hard science masters. Some of the experiences that are enabled by a masters might enhance your application, like research (you seem to have plenty) and teaching (more common in a two-year funded masters, but you already have this too), but mostly only if it's already been completed to a large extent and is on the application.

For med school applications, it's looked on more as a equal to very nice EC. If you've already acquired it.