Chances/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mptrnglo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a student at University of Memphis (and a TN resident) majoring in Chemistry and Biology with a possible minor in English. Had a rough start and right now my GPA is a 3.2 after taking Chem I and II (As), Bio I (C), Physics I and II (Cs over the summer) as well as Organic I (C-) (I'm retaking it this semester and have an A so far).

ECs

Community Service
• Volunteered at inner city schools tutoring children (2010)
• Volunteered as TCAP proctor at Memphis City Schools (2011)
• Volunteered as soccer coach for local church (2010)
• Worked and volunteered as ACT, SAT, NCIDQ proctor (2010-Present)
• Hospice volunteer for 3 years (2009-11)
• Volunteer firefighter, Fayette County (2009-2010)
• Volunteered as children’s day camp supervisor (Summer 2010)
• Lived with and took care of 87 year old man for a year (2011)

Work
• Farm hand (Summer 2011) worked 40 hours/week
• Worked 20+ hours a week at a veterinary hospital as lab tech(2011-present)
• Started and ran successful eBay business (2004-Present)
• Intern at DeltaPatchwork: product fulfillment, packaging, shipping, and customer relations (2011-Present)

Shadowing
• Shadowed hospitalist at local hospital (5 hours a week)
• Shadowed pediatric orthopedic surgeon for ten hours

Activities
• Started club soccer team at Memphis
• Peer tutoring
• Honors college

I'm working 40+ hours a week to put myself through school. Obviously my GPA has to go up and that's what I'm working on. I can get at least two great LORs from a teacher, a doctor, and a my veterinarian boss. Ideally, I would like to go to ETSU or UTHSC.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

your ECs are really good man, I think with a decent mcat around 28 you would prob get in for sure to DO. MD may be a little out of reach unless you really nail the mcat.

Hey guys, I am a student at University of Memphis (and a TN resident) majoring in Chemistry and Biology with a possible minor in English. Had a rough start and right now my GPA is a 3.2 after taking Chem I and II (As), Bio I (C), Physics I and II (Cs over the summer) as well as Organic I (C-) (I'm retaking it this semester and have an A so far).

ECs

Community Service
• Volunteered at inner city schools tutoring children (2010)
• Volunteered as TCAP proctor at Memphis City Schools (2011)
• Volunteered as soccer coach for local church (2010)
• Worked and volunteered as ACT, SAT, NCIDQ proctor (2010-Present)
• Hospice volunteer for 3 years (2009-11)
• Volunteer firefighter, Fayette County (2009-2010)
• Volunteered as children’s day camp supervisor (Summer 2010)
• Lived with and took care of 87 year old man for a year (2011)

Work
• Farm hand (Summer 2011) worked 40 hours/week
• Worked 20+ hours a week at a veterinary hospital as lab tech(2011-present)
• Started and ran successful eBay business (2004-Present)
• Intern at DeltaPatchwork: product fulfillment, packaging, shipping, and customer relations (2011-Present)

Shadowing
• Shadowed hospitalist at local hospital (5 hours a week)
• Shadowed pediatric orthopedic surgeon for ten hours

Activities
• Started club soccer team at Memphis
• Peer tutoring
• Honors college

I'm working 40+ hours a week to put myself through school. Obviously my GPA has to go up and that's what I'm working on. I can get at least two great LORs from a teacher, a doctor, and a my veterinarian boss. Ideally, I would like to go to ETSU or UTHSC.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

You're probably not going to be an MD (Your Bio and Orgo grades, the most important ones, are a bad omen) but if you retake bio (as you are with orgo) and ace it, you're a shoe in for a DO school. They love volunteers.

Since you're just starting out, I guess if you prove your proficiency in Bio by acing the micro, genetics and biochem coming up, the C wont matter as much.

You're probably not going to be an MD (Your Bio and Orgo grades, the most important ones, are a bad omen) but if you retake bio (as you are with orgo) and ace it, you're a shoe in for a DO school. They love volunteers.

Since you're just starting out, I guess if you prove your proficiency in Bio by acing the micro, genetics and biochem coming up, the C wont matter as much.

The way the Bio I and II classes are set up is to get people to drop out of the biology sequences. The UD courses are supposedly easier to do well in.

If I do better in the upper division classes the ADCOMs will be more likely to look past the Bio I grade? With an upward GPA trend.
Thanks for the responses