My chances? advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shawn3003

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to receive some guidance on what my chances are for embarking on my medical journey.

I completed the first 2 years of my education in Golden West, Coastline, Orange coast and Mount San Jacinto Collage.
The reason I went to so many colleges is because some schools didn't have the class I need to take in a certain term so I had to take it at another school.
I received my AA in Labral arts Science and Math with honors from Coastline. my GPA in all college's is about 3.78

I recently transferred to California State University Monterey Bay in their Degree completion Bachelors of Science in computer Science program. This program is part of their EX-ED studies. I am doing good in this program currently about 3.82 upper level GPA. One year from graduation.

I decided I want to go to medical school and I am taking my medical school requirement plus extra Anatomy and Physiology classes at my community colleges.

The reason I went community college for my undergrad is because I support myself and cant afford university tuition. I am 35 years old and planning to get shadowing and ER experience as ER Tech in the coming year.

based on academics alone what do you think are my chances given a MCAT score over 510 and shadowing and ER experience.

Sorry for long post but I don't have anyone else to ask :)

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

@
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to receive some guidance on what my chances are for embarking on my medical journey.

I completed the first 2 years of my education in Golden West, Coastline, Orange coast and Mount San Jacinto Collage.
The reason I went to so many colleges is because some schools didn't have the class I need to take in a certain term so I had to take it at another school.
I received my AA in Labral arts Science and Math with honors from Coastline. my GPA in all college's is about 3.78

I recently transferred to California State University Monterey Bay in their Degree completion Bachelors of Science in computer Science program. This program is part of their EX-ED studies. I am doing good in this program currently about 3.82 upper level GPA. One year from graduation.

I decided I want to go to medical school and I am taking my medical school requirement plus extra Anatomy and Physiology classes at my community colleges.

The reason I went community college for my undergrad is because I support myself and cant afford university tuition. I am 35 years old and planning to get shadowing and ER experience as ER Tech in the coming year.

based on academics alone what do you think are my chances given a MCAT score over 510 and shadowing and ER experience.

Sorry for long post but I don't have anyone else to ask :)

Thank you,

It's hard to gauge chances for an application when you're just speculating on "I will have this" and "I will have that". Also based on your post you make it seem like you still haven't taken the MCAT and your aim is just to be over 510 is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fill out the template. First question: how comfortable do you feel about medical school tuition if you were unable to afford undergraduate tuition at a traditional university? Why not PA? Any shadowing before now?

How much networking have you done with admissions professionals at nearby medical schools about your situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@

It's hard to gauge chances for an application when you're just speculating on "I will have this" and "I will have that". Also based on your post you make it seem like you still haven't taken the MCAT and your aim is just to be over 510 is that correct?
Hello and thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I will have about a year to prep for the MCAT while I finish my undergrad degree and also my medical school requirements, and I aiming for no less than 510 on the MCAT. My biggest question I guess is will my community college classes and my bachelor's route make it impossible for me to get to medical school or will I still have a chance at med to low tier school.

Fill out the template. First question: how comfortable do you feel about medical school tuition if you were unable to afford undergraduate tuition at a traditional university? Why not PA? Any shadowing before now?

How much networking have you done with admissions professionals at nearby medical schools about your situation?
Thank you for the quick response,

I am very comfortable paying for medical school now because I can take freelance software engineering jobs and projects.
As a doctor, I think I can have a more significant impact on people's lives. But if I cant become a doctor, I will take the NP/PA route.
No networking or shadowing yet, but I am planning to work on this in the coming year. I have a year before I am ready to apply.

Thank you.

Hello and thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I will have about a year to prep for the MCAT while I finish my undergrad degree and also my medical school requirements, and I aiming for no less than 510 on the MCAT. My biggest question I guess is will my community college classes and my bachelor's route make it impossible for me to get to medical school or will I still have a chance at med to low tier school.
I can promise you that everyone is aiming for a 510, but unfortunately not every gets it. The MCAT is not an easy test. In terms of community college, it won't hurt you. I go to a MD school and went to community college.

Thank you for the quick response,

I am very comfortable paying for medical school now because I can take freelance software engineering jobs and projects.
As a doctor, I think I can have a more significant impact on people's lives. But if I cant become a doctor, I will take the NP/PA route.
No networking or shadowing yet, but I am planning to work on this in the coming year. I have a year before I am ready to apply.

Thank you.
Just to let you know, tuition is typically much higher for medical school compared to undergrad. Even at public schools. So free lance projects might not help make ends meet and it would not be advisable to do those while you are a medical student. Many students take out loans to pay for the cost.

See gyngyn’s post above post about information you should include for others to best advise you. If you do not have any clinical experience, I’d advise you to start volunteering at a hospital to see if medicine and being around patients who are ill is a fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user