MD Chances after a terrible semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaggy99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a UVA 2nd year biomedical engineering student who just went through a terrible semester GPA wise. Last year, I had a 3.89 with 36 credits, but this semester with 17, i got a 3.02!! I had TWO Cs, in Physics (E & M) and a coding class, and A-s in the rest.

Now, I absolutely know why I did bad and can do better - physics and computer science (coding) are my kryptonite. For next semester, it will be bioengineering and math heavy, which I have proven last year I can do. This, along with very good grade distributions posted by my professor's, leads me to believe I can get a 3.8-4.0, granted I grind really hard.

With such a bad double whammy in one semester, what do you guys think I should do? Knowing my strengths and abilities, I can get at least a 3.8 equivalent for the next 3 semesters based on the planned courses.

Are my chances for medical school severely hindered? Or should i just take my eyes off my dream school (NYU) and target more realistic med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all!
You're going to need a dang good GPA from the rest of your classes to help compensate for this one class. ADCOMS should all know life happens and people don't perform their best. Just make sure you can talk freely about it if it comes up in an interview. My first semester was a 3.0 and as of now, it's a 3.4 after my 3rd semester. Don't worry too much.

Thanks! I know my abilities pretty well, so to get that illusive 3.8-4.0 for the rest of my college career will be very difficult no doubt, but doable.
I wonder if there are more pessimistic views out there about my situation though? Honestly would like to hear both sides of the situation (if there truly is one)

Just do well from now on. A "V" or "U"-shaped GPA trend is very common. Usually it's due to Orgo.

Hey guys,

I'm a UVA 2nd year biomedical engineering student who just went through a terrible semester GPA wise. Last year, I had a 3.89 with 36 credits, but this semester with 17, i got a 3.02!! I had TWO Cs, in Physics (E & M) and a coding class, and A-s in the rest.

Now, I absolutely know why I did bad and can do better - physics and computer science (coding) are my kryptonite. For next semester, it will be bioengineering and math heavy, which I have proven last year I can do. This, along with very good grade distributions posted by my professor's, leads me to believe I can get a 3.8-4.0, granted I grind really hard.

With such a bad double whammy in one semester, what do you guys think I should do? Knowing my strengths and abilities, I can get at least a 3.8 equivalent for the next 3 semesters based on the planned courses.

Are my chances for medical school severely hindered? Or should i just take my eyes off my dream school (NYU) and target more realistic med schools?