DO Chances after secondaries and some other thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpstyles54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is the situation

Quick Stats:
Non-traditional
Over 100 hours shadowing
over 100 volunteering at my local ambulance corp
3.47 GPA
3.3 sGPA
24 Mcat (9P6V9B)

I applied to the following schools with secondary applications
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ - SECONDARY
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ - SECONDARY
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO - REJECT
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL - SECONDARY
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA - SECONDARY
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, VA - SECONDARY
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN - SECONDARY
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY - SECONDARY
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH SECONDARY
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA SECONDARY
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO SECONDARY
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ SECONDARY
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME SECONDARY

University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV SECONDARY
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA SECONDARY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

I also applied and was accepted to SGU's January class.

Just a bit more food for thought:

I have all these secondaries in and that SGU admission burning a home in my pocket.
Planning on re-taking the MCAT this Jan to bring up that awful verbal score.
I have also been admitted into a SMP starting this January as well.

Here is what you guys could help me with:

Do I have a serious shot at some of these schools?

Should I take the SGU spot and began my medical education right away?

I understand most people on SDN are very anti-Caribbean, but I am OK with going here. Honestly, to me it doesn't matter if the college is a profit machine or not. They are turning out good USMLE pass rates and placing people in residencies (it does take longer, but eventually people land a residency). The rest is just semantics. They do what they say do, allow you to practice in the US (somewhere at least).

Should I go into SMP and re-take the MCAT and apply again next year?

Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I understand most people on SDN are very anti-Caribbean, but I am OK with going here. Honestly, to me it doesn't matter if the college is a profit machine or not. Their goal is that they are turning out good USMLE pass rates and placing people in residencies (it does take longer, but eventually people land a residency). The rest is just semantics. They do what they say do, allow you to practice in the US (somewhere at least).

Are you OK with Family Medicine? The statistics are inflated because a huge percentage of Caribbean students match into FM, which is by far the least competitive specialty.

Also, the main concern for Caribbean schools is that the ratio of residency spots/applicants is decreasing. Overall match rates are going to decrease, and that will take a heavy toll on Caribbean schools.

Finally, a disconcerting statistic is the rate of attrition at some programs, which can be shockingly high.

If you don't get in anywhere, I'd re-apply next year rather than going the Caribbean route. Your GPA is OK for DO. Just gotta get that MCAT score up.

When were you complete at these schools? Depending on that, it might take a while for them to get back to you.

I don't know about a lot of the schools but I do remember reading that a competitive candidate at LECOM had an MCAT of at least 24. Think about where you'd want to go and if you're willing to retake the MCAT and apply again next year. Don't give up yet!

Are you OK with Family Medicine? The statistics are inflated because a huge percentage of Caribbean students match into FM, which is by far the least competitive specialty.

Actually after looking at the 2014 match from SGU, most go into IM then Family Med. This stat is like most medical schools in general. Most medical schools place people into IM which is what I have seen. Yes, of course there will be some different ones, but by far a majority of medical schools send their students on to IM.

This kind of evidence leads to me to think that hey the Caribbeans aren't a bad choice, just something to consider.

However, after saying all that I think I'll study for the MCATs again. If I can do a little better in Verbal I should be good to go I think.