chances/applying details

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swinsh01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm coming to SDN because at my school of 2700, I'm the only pre-pod student that the pre-health advisor can remember in years. I'm about to go into my second semester of my junior year. I'm pursuing a B.S. biology with a minor in chemistry. My school is pretty academically rigorous and our transcripts have a caveat that states our institution does not allow any form of grade inflation whatsoever. Currently my stats are:

sGPA-2.94
nsGPA-3.07
cGPA-3.00
no MCAT yet (taking it this summer)

I've been accepted to Temple's Winter Internship program (which starts in about a week). I've stayed with a podiatrist for a week in Philadelphia whom I shadowed the summer after my first year. He also sent me to TUSPM and a few hospitals to see several other podiatric settings. I currently shadow a podiatric surgeon a few times a semester near my school. I've also met the Dean at Temple, John Mattiacci, D.P.M., (a classmate of the first podiatrist I shadowed), who told me to give him a call when I applied.

Extracurriculars include coordinating my school's Relay for Life for the past 2 years. Holding both Student Coordinator positions in the office of First-Year Programs (second student in my school's history to do so), which includes coordinating both welcome week orientation and the extended orientation programs.

I really want to go to Temple (since all the podiatrists I've worked with have gone there), but I plan to apply broadly. Do I have a shot of getting in to any pod schools? Suggestions on what I might need to score on the MCAT to have a good chance of getting in? Also, should I take the MCAT in early August and apply in September once I get my scores back? I was going to study for the MCAT all summer to increase my chances of getting a good score, so I wouldn't want to take it too early in the summer. Any guidance is greatly appreciated since my pre-health advisor seems totally clueless on the matter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice. I was worried that a cumulative of 3.0 was too low. Next semester I'm doing everything I can to make it a GPA booster, since it's the last one before I apply.

Anyone have insight on applying in August versus September? Will it make a big difference?

Yes, there is a HUGE difference b/w many schools that give out As and Bs left and right, and hence that "3.7" is a joke,

versus truly academically rigorous schools whereby a C is excellent, and only a few earn Bs and far fewer earn As. That is why many folks look at your undergrad caliber, if rigorous then different standards versus lighter schools.

However, get your scicum and gcum higher, ~3.2 if possible as <3.0. is too low even for podiatric school.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to Temple's winter internship too, so we may even be roommates next week. My stats are similar to yours. I went to a really easy school my first year of college and got all As in all science classes, but then I transfered to a very difficult school and have been earning mostly Bs and Cs. I hope they will take the school's difficulty into account, because I can say I put more effort and learned more in my classes at the more academically challenging school. My cGPA is about 3.2 and my sGPA is about 3.0. I also have been shadowing at temple and its my top choice. I don't see why they would have accepted us for the internship if they didn't plan on at least considering us for admission next year. Good luck and see you next week!

I go to a school of 1500 and I'm the last person to apply to pod school in the last 25 years. Hopefully I'll get in and be the first person in so long.