Chances as a non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostkorean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my stats:

3.4 overall GPA (I majored in Computer Science at University of Michigan for undergrad)
3.4 science GPA
33O MCAT

Here's where it gets more complicated. I started out my first 2 years of undergrad as pre-med, then switched to computer science. I graduated two years ago and got a job at a software company. I didn't enjoy it, so I started branching out and got a side job doing programming for a professor at the U of M medical school. It got me thinking about applying to medical school again, so I decided to do it and I took the MCAT last summer. I did pretty well (see above), and I took Biochem at U of M this semester and I did really well (scored in top 5% of class)

Some other ECs I have:
-30 hours volunteering for habitat for humanity
-30 hours volunteering for a student group called "conversation circles", helping ESL students learn english
-I have over 500 hours of clinical experience from working at the hospital as a blood gas lab tech and EKG tech. The only downside is that this was about 5 years ago
-16 hours of shadowing
-I've been working at a profesional software company while studying for MCAT and Biochem
-A couple other jobs/experiences that are related to computer science

The thing that worries me the most is my GPA. Do you think that my recent performance in Biochem (and possibly the MCAT?) is enough for them to overlook that? I'm trying to get in anywhere in the United States.

edit: wanted to add that I will be applying to a ton of schools, I'll go anywhere as long as it's in the US

Members don't see this ad.