[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnerforlife!

WCUCOM ‘26
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice for you is to come back when you have a set MCAT score. Don’t worry about tiers/lists right now and invest your energy into studying for the MCAT.

Reactions: 8 users
Not an adcom but here’s what I’ve learned:

-Don’t apply Caribbean at all. Apply DO instead (depends on MCAT)
-You have a solid app but a lot of ppl say the same thing that hey aim for so and so score on the MCAT. And then things happen. Some people do better, some do worse. Focus a lot on that MCAT, your school list depends quite a bit on that with your gpa. Example: A 515+ makes you pretty competitive. A 500 not so much.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for 528, not 510-515, as for any exam.

I found that aiming for a specific score makes you subconsciously settle and write off harder questions as “I don’t need those to get X score.” If you aim for a 528 and genuinely work for a perfect score (even if you don’t get it), you’ll end up being pleasantly surprised by your score most of the time.

It’s the same idea as “aim for an A+” in every class.

Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Aim for 528, not 510-515, as for any exam.

I found that aiming for a specific score makes you subconsciously settle and write off harder questions as “I don’t need those to get X score.” If you aim for a 528 and genuinely work for a perfect score (even if you don’t get it), you’ll end up being pleasantly surprised by your score most of the time.

It’s the same idea as “aim for an A+” in every class.

Good luck!

Thank you! I will work hard and take your advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually aim for a 527. You don’t want to be in that perfectionist mindset.

Hello, I am currently a senior at UCLA majoring in biology. By the time I apply to medical school next cycle (June 2020), I will have a cGPA of ~3.82-3.85 and sGPA of ~3.68-3.70. I am taking my MCAT in January 2020 (aim is 510-515). I have been studying for the MCAT since March of this year since I am pacing myself and doing long term studying.

I appreciate any feedback on my future application for medical school. No one in my family went to college (except for older sister). I value your guys opinions and advice and want to know what I can do now to increase my chances.

I am a first-generation college student, immigrant refugee, a Sikh minority (but considered over-represented as an Asian), and low-income. I attended a disadvantaged high school, and I have a great story to share on my personal statement :). My intended LORs are from: a UCLA Ronald Reagan attending internal medicine doctor, a social worker overseeing Habitat for Humanity (building homes for homeless veterans and low-income populations), my PI for my clinical research lab, and either a physics or evolutionary medicine professor.

EC's:
1) Research: Will have 1,500 hours of ear and skull base surgery clinical research. I am the lab manager and have a first author publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal. I edit and submit manuscripts, share data with medical students, collect data, train undergraduates, and write and read scientific literature. Planning on attending a conference and doing a poster presentation definitely.
2) Clinical Volunteering: 700-750 hours volunteering at Ronald Reagan hospital with 2 leadership positions in the Care Extender Program. Watched 7 surgeries, including 2 with my PI.
3) Non-clinical volunteering: Habitat for Humanity advocacy chair. So far been in it for 1.1 years. Not sure how many hours. Maybe 400? Build homes for homeless veterans, assist low-income veterans, and I interview veterans. Implemented a raffle system for membership retention and increased membership in the club.
4) Shadowing: will shadow internal medicine residents and attendings for 100 hours, maybe 200 if I have more time. Will aim to shadow various specialties if allowed.
5) Lead Clerk and Customer representative for an appliance repair company (worked each summer to provide for my family and self). Gained lots of organizational and customer service skills. Implemented better advertising techniques etc.
6) Dean's Honor List

Goals before June 2020 application: maybe do a biochem learning assistant (tutor) position but I really want to focus on MCAT and score 510-515. I will also apply to scholarships all senior year. My backup are Caribbean MD schools.

Sorry for the long post. I am just very anxious and worried about medical school applications. I appreciate ANY feedback, and I thank you for your time! Thank you!

Your app sounds amazing man. Just aim super high on the MCAT and any school will be lucky to have you.

You have great stats so far. Kill the MCAT and you've got an awesome shot girl!

Posts like this are really discouraging. URM's with 3.8 cumulative with concerns about getting in. Ughhhh

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.