Chances at Allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zainqazi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people, so I'm hoping to get a little insight from the community 'o pre-med/med students out there on what my chances are as far as getting into an allopathic school is concerned. I'm primarily just considering my GPA and MCAT because I'm wondering if I really need to retake the MCAT's at this point (personally, I think I need to...).

PS: 9
BS: 9
VR: 9
Writing: S

GPA: 3.52

I live in Virginia and I'll be applying to EVMC, MCV, and UVA, as well as loads of other schools along the East Coast and one or two snowball's chance in hell sort of West Coast schools. I'm considering retaking the MCAT's right now on July 2nd, meaning my score wouldn't be released to the schools until August 5th. I'll be applying to D.O. schools as well, but ideally I would like to get into an allopathic school. I know that some schools in Virginia go on a rolling admission basis so I'll be applying as soon as the application opens up, but I'll be sending in my new MCAT score (assuming I go through with this) whenever it's released.

Basically, my perception is that I really need to do quite a bit better on my MCAT's to have a chance at any allopathic school. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say with a minimum MCAT of 32, you'd have a decent chance at allopathic schools. As you are, your chances are less than 50%, even with significant modifying factors.

I'd agree with your assumption. A 27 probably will not cut it at an allopathic school. A 30 will though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah so basically my assumptions were pretty much correct. I'll be applying to osteopathic schools as well, but I'm definitely back into studying for the MCAT.

Thanks for the insight guys/girls.

I wouldn't count yourself out so fast, zainqazi. UVA is probably a no go. VCU would be tricky but EVMS has the potential. I know plenty of people there with your MCAT score (and one with a point below it). Depending on where you live in Virginia you could potentially have an even better shot at EVMS.

I wouldn't count yourself out so fast, zainqazi. UVA is probably a no go. VCU would be tricky but EVMS has the potential. I know plenty of people there with your MCAT score (and one with a point below it). Depending on where you live in Virginia you could potentially have an even better shot at EVMS.

average mcat at evms is around a 31 - 3.6

i don't think a 27 would fly. it may sound like a small difference between a 27 and a 30 but in reality it's enormous

average mcat at evms is around a 31 - 3.6

i don't think a 27 would fly. it may sound like a small difference between a 27 and a 30 but in reality it's enormous

Simply stating she has a shot. Plus, we don't know her science GPA but from what I understand from people who attend EVMS they really, really like Hampton Roads residents. This is even explicitly stated on their website.