Low GPA and worried!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a University of Toronto student that holds an American permanent residency (I received acceptance during my sophomore year so I'm currently unable to move to America due to my ongoing education in Canada). I am worried about my chances at medical school and only have 50 hours of non-clinical online volunteering that I started one year ago. I have secured a clinical volunteer position but they are unsure when they will allow volunteer activities to resume (maybe later this year or 2022), so I have zero clinical hours so far. I am in process of setting up shadowing, which will happen soon. But, I am pretty concerned about my grades as I had an illness in 2nd year so I took one semester off.

Here are my grades- 1st year: 1.95 annual GPA (only took 6 classes in total) 2nd year: 3.35 annual GPA. 3rd year: 3.94 annual GPA. 4th year (in progress): first semester- 4.0. Cumulative GPA: 3.18.

I will be taking a post-bacc to complete science prereqs that I am missing because I am a humanities student. With my poor GPA and ECs, will this hinder my application to medical schools (DO and MD) if I apply after 2 years of my post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.