Chances at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nlynn527

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I posted in the MD forum alittle while ago but wanted to get some advice based on The DO track. I started nursing school in 2008 and took gen eds first (psychology, sociology, English, A&P). Then because of personal reasons I had to stop attending. I was withdrawn from the school and I took a year and a half off before enrolling in my local community college this past fall. There I took a Spanish course, another English, abnormal psych and philosophy. I am now at a university and majoring in Biology. My first semester here was great. Unless I totallly blow off my finals this week I will have all As.

As far as ECs, I don't have a whole lot yet. I do have a lot of clinical work experience in my local ER from the year and a half I took off school. I also just started volunteering weekly at a local hospital.

I still have 4 semesters or so to complete my degree and mainly upper level science classes to complete. If I do well in all these classes and get some more ECs do I have a decent shot at a DO school given that I do well on the MCAT? (i took two practice tests and scored a 25 and 24.) I would not be taking the MCAT until next year so i have plenty more tome to prepare. My overall GPA right now is ~3.2 but like I said that doesn't include really any science classes. So what are my chances? And what do I need to do to increase them ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I posted in the MD forum alittle while ago but wanted to get some advice based on The DO track. I started nursing school in 2008 and took gen eds first (psychology, sociology, English, A&P). Then because of personal reasons I had to stop attending. I was withdrawn from the school and I took a year and a half off before enrolling in my local community college this past fall. There I took a Spanish course, another English, abnormal psych and philosophy. I am now at a university and majoring in Biology. My first semester here was great. Unless I totallly blow off my finals this week I will have all As.

As far as ECs, I don't have a whole lot yet. I do have a lot of clinical work experience in my local ER from the year and a half I took off school. I also just started volunteering weekly at a local hospital.

I still have 4 semesters or so to complete my degree and mainly upper level science classes to complete. If I do well in all these classes and get some more ECs do I have a decent shot at a DO school given that I do well on the MCAT? (i took two practice tests and scored a 25 and 24.) I would not be taking the MCAT until next year so i have plenty more tome to prepare. My overall GPA right now is ~3.2 but like I said that doesn't include really any science classes. So what are my chances? And what do I need to do to increase them ?
The average matriculating DO student has a cGPA of 3.47, sGPA of 3.36, and MCAT 26.51. Ideally, you'll get enough As to exceed these GPAs.

Note that the AACOMAS sGPA does not include math and has some other differences from MD schools: (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

Also be aware of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy: Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA. You may not need to replace your Cs if you get enough A grades from this time forward, but it's good to know it can be done if necessary.

ECs that are expected are similar to what MD schools like to see, though it's a good idea to shadow a DO physician for the sake of getting a DO LOR for some schools.

The average matriculating DO student has a cGPA of 3.47, sGPA of 3.36, and MCAT 26.51. Ideally, you'll get enough As to exceed these GPAs.

Note that the AACOMAS sGPA does not include math and has some other differences from MD schools: (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

Also be aware of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy: Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA. You may not need to replace your Cs if you get enough A grades from this time forward, but it's good to know it can be done if necessary.

ECs that are expected are similar to what MD schools like to see, though it's a good idea to shadow a DO physician for the sake of getting a DO LOR for some schools.

So, given that I do well in my remaining science classes and do well on the MCAT I have a pretty decent shot at admission at a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
An acceptance depends on many other factors, like LORs, ECs, and interview skills.

I understand that. I was asking based on GPA and MCAT score. I'm working on the ECs as well.