no_meal6745
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
First time posting on here, I'll try to not make this sound like a pity party. I'm feeling pretty defeated and unmotivated due to not knowing if I'm good enough and if I should just drop this whole thing. I'm completing my last quarter in undergrad (3.65 cGPA/3.6sGPA, no MCAT yet).
A little more about me:
- Immigrated to the U.S. w/ immediate family in 2013 as asylum seekers from the Middle East (pretty sure i'm considered ORM?) --> current U.S. citizen
- Low SES; live in low income housing
- CA resident
- One parent obtained B.S. at age 55, other parent only has Associate's degree (I've heard mixed things online on whether this makes me first gen or not)
First year of college, I didn't do any ECs so I was a bit late in regards to that. Second year, I started racking up hours. So here's what I have so far:
- 250hrs ER volunteering
- 400hrs IFT EMT
- 480hrs ER Tech
- 192hrs PT Aide (ongoing)
- 100hrs TAing
- 900hrs non-clinical paid work
- 15hrs shadowing ER doc
- 10hrs non clinical volunteering --> expecting ~150hrs by time of application (May 2027)
Anyway. I have absolutely no research. I'm registered for a Sept MCAT which I barely started studying for, but feeling immensely demotivated and out of my league with all this. I've never taken the SAT because they went test-blind when I applied to college circa COVID, so I've never done any standardized testing.
Especially as a low SES, and all these changes with loans, sometimes I feel like I'm better off starting a career in biotech or something just to make money and not be broke. I don't even have enough in my bank account right now to pay for apps if I were to apply lmao. I applied to FAP and got rejected even though the national poverty threshold is much lower than my city's low income threshold (HCOL). I know I can't fully crutch on my low SES/immigrant portion but I feel like I can write a pretty good PS about resilience despite my background and "why medicine". I'm hoping to have a service-oriented narrative.
Thank you for reading through all of this, if you did. Thoughts?
First time posting on here, I'll try to not make this sound like a pity party. I'm feeling pretty defeated and unmotivated due to not knowing if I'm good enough and if I should just drop this whole thing. I'm completing my last quarter in undergrad (3.65 cGPA/3.6sGPA, no MCAT yet).
A little more about me:
- Immigrated to the U.S. w/ immediate family in 2013 as asylum seekers from the Middle East (pretty sure i'm considered ORM?) --> current U.S. citizen
- Low SES; live in low income housing
- CA resident
- One parent obtained B.S. at age 55, other parent only has Associate's degree (I've heard mixed things online on whether this makes me first gen or not)
First year of college, I didn't do any ECs so I was a bit late in regards to that. Second year, I started racking up hours. So here's what I have so far:
- 250hrs ER volunteering
- 400hrs IFT EMT
- 480hrs ER Tech
- 192hrs PT Aide (ongoing)
- 100hrs TAing
- 900hrs non-clinical paid work
- 15hrs shadowing ER doc
- 10hrs non clinical volunteering --> expecting ~150hrs by time of application (May 2027)
Anyway. I have absolutely no research. I'm registered for a Sept MCAT which I barely started studying for, but feeling immensely demotivated and out of my league with all this. I've never taken the SAT because they went test-blind when I applied to college circa COVID, so I've never done any standardized testing.
Especially as a low SES, and all these changes with loans, sometimes I feel like I'm better off starting a career in biotech or something just to make money and not be broke. I don't even have enough in my bank account right now to pay for apps if I were to apply lmao. I applied to FAP and got rejected even though the national poverty threshold is much lower than my city's low income threshold (HCOL). I know I can't fully crutch on my low SES/immigrant portion but I feel like I can write a pretty good PS about resilience despite my background and "why medicine". I'm hoping to have a service-oriented narrative.
Thank you for reading through all of this, if you did. Thoughts?
Last edited: