Chances at going back to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ta202

Reaction score
I withdrew from med school fall 2020 after the death of a close friend. It was my first semester, and I left before the end of the semester. I was passing when I withdrew, so I received Ws instead of WFs.

I have been doing something unrelated to medicine since I withdrew, but I really want to go back. I was wondering if anyone on here has gone through something similar, and if so, what did you do about it? I am planning on getting in touch with the dean of my old school to see about getting back in, but I was wondering if it would be worth reapplying to schools as well?

I'd be curious to hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from med school fall 2020 after the death of a close friend. It was my first semester, and I left before the end of the semester. I was passing when I withdrew, so I received Ws instead of WFs.

I have been doing something unrelated to medicine since I withdrew, but I really want to go back. I was wondering if anyone on here has gone through something similar, and if so, what did you do about it? I am planning on getting in touch with the dean of my old school to see about getting back in, but I was wondering if it would be worth reapplying to schools as well?

Can you talk to the school that you withdrew from to see if they'll at least let you reapply? You have a good reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you talk to the school that you withdrew from to see if they'll at least let you reapply? You have a good reason.
Yes, I'm definitely going to talk with them. From what I can find on their website, it looks like I have to make a formal request for readmission to the school. Hopefully this works out, as it would be much easier than reapplying. I'm very nervous about not being granted readmission though.

I tried searching the internet to see if anyone's talked about doing this before and how it went for them, but I can't seem to find much. I've found a few posts, but they seem to be from people who were dismissed for poor performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm definitely going to talk with them. From what I can find on their website, it looks like I have to make a formal request for readmission to the school. Hopefully this works out, as it would be much easier than reapplying. I'm very nervous about not being granted readmission though.

I tried searching the internet to see if anyone's talked about doing this before and how it went for them, but I can't seem to find much. I've found a few posts, but they seem to be from people who were dismissed for poor performance.
The only thing I can think of is that they may ask why you didn't just take a LOA. I hope they give you the benefit of the doubt ones mind doesn't work properly when going through grief.

I wonder if this is something you should try to schedule an appointment with the dean to try and work out.

Reactions: 5 users
The only thing I can think of is that they may ask why you didn't just take a LOA. I hope they give you the benefit of the doubt ones mind doesn't work properly when going through grief.

I wonder if this is something you should try to schedule an appointment with the dean to try and work out.
This^^^^. Why not a LOA? I truly wish you all the best with your prior school because, if they won't take you back, I'd imagine that would be a red flag at other schools that you might find extremely difficult to overcome. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user

Why didn't you take LOA?

Would you be able to get LORs from your former faculty?

Why didn't you take LOA?

Would you be able to get LORs from your former faculty?
I believe I was on a LOA, but it ended after 12 months.

From med school? I might be able to get some, but I didn't get to know them too well. It was during the early stages of corona, so the only time I got to see any professors in person was during the few hours a week of lab.

This^^^^. Why not a LOA? I truly wish you all the best with your prior school because, if they won't take you back, I'd imagine that would be a red flag at other schools that you might find extremely difficult to overcome. Good luck!!
Thank you. If I'm unable to go back to my old school, do you think I would pretty much be DNRed at other schools, even if I raised my MCAT and pumped out some research or did an SMP? I know I'm getting ahead of myself and need to contact my old school before I worry too much about any of that.

• Care
I think that it would be very difficult to gain entry to a new school. A letter explaining the circumstances behind your leaving will be essential or other schools will assume that you got kicked out.

Thank you. If I'm unable to go back to my old school, do you think I would pretty much be DNRed at other schools, even if I raised my MCAT and pumped out some research or did an SMP? I know I'm getting ahead of myself and need to contact my old school before I worry too much about any of that.
Yes, you are getting waaay ahead of yourself. I think your old school will welcome you back if you left on decent terms. If they don't, that's going to be a red flag that is going to give other schools pause. I don't know about DNR, but the issue won't be MCATs, grades or research.

It will be why you left and why the other school won't take you back, and I honestly don't know how you overcome that, which is why your old school will be you best shot, by far. OTOH, since they DID give you a LOA, rather than requiring you to withdraw, I think you should have a reasonable chance to be re-enrolled under the circumstances.

Please keep us updated on how it goes, and, PLEASE don't get ahead of yourself in terms of freaking out about this, just because they want to subject you to a process rather than just give you an automatic reinstatement. Since you let the 12 months expire, their position is entirely reasonable, and is not a sign they are not going to welcome you back.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been a med school faculty member for a few decades and over the years I've known a few hundred students quite well and I can think of at least 3 who left and came back, usually because they were doing well but not sure that medicine was the right path. After some time on an alternate path (everything from engineering to music) they asked to come back and the school said yes. Keep in mind that schools are eager to put every student who matriculates in the "graduated" column eventually as too much attrition (drop outs/flunk outs) is bad for the school's record.

Email the dean of students and ask for an appointment to meet in person or over Zoom to talk about what you've been doing and why you'd like to return. Let us know how it goes. We are rooting for you.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Thank you all for the support and advice. I'll definitely post an update on how this turns out.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a med school faculty member for a few decades and over the years I've known a few hundred students quite well and I can think of at least 3 who left and came back, usually because they were doing well but not sure that medicine was the right path. After some time on an alternate path (everything from engineering to music) they asked to come back and the school said yes. Keep in mind that schools are eager to put every student who matriculates in the "graduated" column eventually as too much attrition (drop outs/flunk outs) is bad for the school's record.

Email the dean of students and ask for an appointment to meet in person or over Zoom to talk about what you've been doing and why you'd like to return. Let us know how it goes. We are rooting for you.
Do you think it would be better for me to reach out to the dean of students now, or should I wait until after their next class starts? I'm wondering if it would be better to wait since I'm assuming they already have pretty much their entire class for next year picked out.

Do you think it would be better for me to reach out to the dean of students now, or should I wait until after their next class starts? I'm wondering if it would be better to wait since I'm assuming they already have pretty much their entire class for next year picked out.
Why wait? If they have any interest but cannot accommodate you this year, they'll let you know.

Reactions: 2 users

I have a good friend who attended a Texas MD program and had to withdraw from school. She’s explained why a LoA wasn’t an option for her. After she’d been out of school for a few years, she decided to apply to medical school again. She got a letter of good standing from the Dean of Students at her previous medical school, along with a letter that explained why a LoA wasn’t going to help with her situation. She retook the MCAT, got new LORs, wrote a new PS and went out and had a very successful application season. She was admitted to 3-4 DO programs and 3-4 Texas MD schools. She’s now entering her MS-2 year at a TX MD program.

• Care
I'm back with an update.

I spoke with the dean of students, and they said that I missed the deadline for reinstatement/readmission and that I am going to need to reapply to be able to go back to med school. They think I have a good chance at getting in again since I got in the first time.

I'm pretty bummed to hear this, but I'm definitely still going to give it my best shot. I would really appreciate any advice you all might have for reapplying.

@LizzyM @gyngyn @KnightDoc @Goro @voxveritatisetlucis @PhD_to_DO @Proudfather94

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'm back with an update.

I spoke with the dean of students, and they said that I missed the deadline for reinstatement/readmission and that I am going to need to reapply to be able to go back to med school. They think I have a good chance at getting in again since I got in the first time.

I'm pretty bummed to hear this, but I'm definitely still going to give it my best shot. I would really appreciate any advice you all might have for reapplying.
You need to demonstrate that you have learned coping skills that will not disable you for two years in case Life strikes again and clobbers you with a 2x4.

I've lost dear friends myself, people who were like family, but that didn't disable me for two years. Hack, I lost my mom while I was in grad school and it didn't necessitate a LOA.

Now, you taking the LOA was indeed the smart thing to do. Trying to bulldoze your way through when you're grieving is not a good idea, and that's why LOAs were created.

That said, needing two years? This is what I worry about.

I'd like to hear what some more of my wise Adcom colleagues have to add.
@Angus Avagadro
@lord999
@Moko
@wook
@Mr.Smile12
@LunaOri
@Catalystik
@wysdoc

What say you?

You might want to apply broadly and not put all your eggs in one basket. Also start thinking about a back up plan in case things don’t work out. I can’t really tell what your chances are because I don’t know the details.

In other words don’t take the dean’s encouraging words about read mission at face value. From my experience, Deans tend to walk on eggshells when having these conversations to avoid saying anything that could be interpreted as a violation of federal disability law.

Were you not informed of the deadline and process for reinstatement in the first place?

I suspect they won't mind letting you completely go... otherwise the dean(s) would find ways to give you the benefit of the doubt. I would plan a full reapplication with an appropriate explanation. I would connect through AMSA/SNMA networking to talk to other deans of student affairs about advice on a reapp. See @PhD_to_DO 's post above for a strategy and making sure you secure an appropriately supportive letter from the dean of students at the school you are leaving.

You need to demonstrate that you have learned coping skills that will not disable you for two years in case Life strikes again and clobbers you with a 2x4.

I've lost dear friends myself, people who were like family, but that didn't disable me for two years. Hack, I lost my mom while I was in grad school and it didn't necessitate a LOA.

Now, you taking the LOA was indeed the smart thing to do. Trying to bulldoze your way through when you're grieving is not a good idea, and that's why LOAs were created.

That said, needing two years? This is what I worry about.

@Angus Avagadro
@lord999
@Moko
@wook
@Mr.Smile12
@LunaOri
@Catalystik
@wysdoc

What say you?

I would concur with Goro. Be able to address the length of time and discuss the challenges you faced and how you grew from them.

I would also encourage you to try and apply again. Broadly as someone else mentioned. If it is truly your passion/dream, then you have nothing to lose by giving it a go and show that you can do this!

Wook

• Love
I'm back with an update.

I don’t have a lot more to add beyond what’s been shared. It’ll be impirtant to show how you’ve grown and how you plan to cope with difficult circumstances in the future. I think that someone mentioned applying broadly; I agree with this. Outside of that, I believe that you’ve got a good shot at this and will say a prayer that some medical school out there will open its door to you. Go get your seat!

I would really appreciate any advice you all might have for reapplying.

@Catalystik

What say you?

Maybe you could give more information about what you've been doing these last two years to stay busy?

Did you have solid experiences for the Activities section during your last application season?

What is your plan for updating your clinical experience to demonstrate ongoing interest?

Will the Dean you spoke to provide a letter saying you left that school in good standing?

When can you start studying for an MCAT retake?

Might you take some in-person, undergrad, upper-level science classes to prove your academic abilities haven't waned and to get fresh, recent LORs?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I agree. I think the the salient point you need to address properly is why no LOA and why decide to return to medicine now? You will need to be quite honest. I agree your best shot at admission is at your former school. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
I'm back with an update.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed for you. It totally sucks, and the only good news is that you only lost one semester.

With respect to your initial concerns, no I do not think you would be DOA at other schools under these circumstances. If it were me, I'd be so disappointed and pissed that I'd do whatever I could within reason to improve my application. I'd then apply widely, and only return to that school if it was my only acceptance.

If nothing else, this is going to make for a powerful overcoming adversity essay. Although it's hard to find a silver lining here, I think you're ultimately going to wind up at a school that's a better fit for you, where you will perform better and have better options going forward.