Chances at MD vs DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Staniel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just wanted to know what my chances are for admission this cycle. If anyone has applied with similar stats and has been accepted please let me know how long it took for interview invitations after secondaries, and number of ii’s You received.
Below are my stats

cGPA 3.50 sGPA 3.39 MCAT 509 (30-31) LizzyM: 65.5
White, with disadvantaged status, wrote about desire to practice primary care in rural area in secondaries etc
Florida resident, USF grad with degree in cell and molecular bio, have 140 credits with many 4000-level science classes
2 years scribing experience (2300+hrs)
Volunteer work with phi theta kappa honor society and BASBE (100 hrs)
Health club Vice President
Judo member, tutoring exp at academic resource center
1 year experience as lab tech

Last semester GPA with upward trend.
Currently writing my secondaries, have two LORs but still waiting for two more from science professors, should have them in by Oct 30th.

Schools I applied to:
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Central Michigan
Albany
Meharry
FSU
FIU
GCSOM
Cooper at Rowan
Rush
Rosalind Franklin

DO schools:
Lecom Erie, Bradenton
NSUCOM
PCOM philly
Touro NY
NYIT
Rowan SOM

Members don't see this ad.

Your school list and decision to apply so late with your stats are both terrible. First of all, Meharry is a very mission-based school, and there's nothing in your ECs to suggest that you fit their mission. Central Michigan is mostly looking for people with dedication to the school's local community, and I can't imagine how a kid from Florida would have commitment to a community in central Michigan. Rush requires a huge amount of community service hours, which doesn't seem like you have. Also, you are from Florida, but aside from your state schools, all the schools you applied to are thousands of miles away from you, which means you are likely not from one of their feeder schools/states. Your list is so short that you should definitely add some schools closer to home. Lastly, I thought Florida has a lot more medical schools than NSUCOM, FSU and FIU, why did you only applied to those?

Reactions: 1 users
Your school list and decision to apply so late with your stats are both terrible. First of all, Meharry is a very mission-based school, and there's nothing in your ECs to suggest that you fit their mission. Central Michigan is mostly looking for people with dedication to the school's local community, and I can't imagine how a kid from Florida would have commitment to a community in central Michigan. Rush requires a huge amount of community service hours, which doesn't seem like you have. Also, you are from Florida, but aside from your state schools, all the schools you applied to are thousands of miles away from you, which means you are likely not from one of their feeder schools/states. Your list is so short that you should definitely add some schools closer to home. Lastly, I thought Florida has a lot more medical schools than NSUCOM, FSU and FIU, why did you only applied to those?

I chose meharry and central mich because of their lower accepted stats. Meharry may be mission focused but they didnt have any questions relating to that in their secondaries. Yes these schools are indeed far away, but why does the concept of applying out of state seem so foreign to you? I am actually quite sick of florida and wanted to move up north.
Good point, I considered applying to UCF,UF,USF, but their avg accepted stats were a bit out of range (3.6+gpa, 31+mcat). I actually went to USF but their avg accepted gpa is something like 3.7 and mcat of 32. I didnt realize how late I was until it was too late, I had a few secondaries in as soon as my mcat scores came in around Sept 19th, but the LORs really held me back.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add the other Florida MD schools this week: USF, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida and U Florida. Cooper and Central Michigan accept very few non residents with your stats. You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list.

You should add the other Florida MD schools this week: USF, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida and U Florida. Cooper and Central Michigan accept very few non residents with your stats. You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list.

Ok I will definitely add FAU, USF, and UCF to my application; but should I even bother with UF? Their average accepted gpa is 3.79 and mcat 32.. seems like a stretch for my stats

I chose meharry and central mich because of their lower accepted stats. Meharry may be mission focused but they didnt have any questions relating to that in their secondaries. Yes these schools are indeed far away, but why does the concept of applying out of state seem so foreign to you? I am actually quite sick of florida and wanted to move up north.
Good point, I considered applying to UCF,UF,USF, but their avg accepted stats were a bit out of range (3.6+gpa, 31+mcat). I actually went to USF but their avg accepted gpa is something like 3.7 and mcat of 32. I didnt realize how late I was until it was too late, I had a few secondaries in as soon as my mcat scores came in around Sept 19th, but the LORs really held me back.
Meharry and central Michigan has lower acceptance stats BECAUSE they are missions based. Your logic of applying there simply due to their seemingly low stats doesn't make sense.
Also, applying OOS is not a foreign concept to me because I go to an OOS school, but it's stupid to forego your state schools to apply to a bunch of missions-based OOS schools simply because you think they have lower stats. If you want to go OOS, you should at least apply to all your IS schools plus whatever OOS schools that are accessible to someone with your profile (hint, not meharry if you don't have commitment to the AA community). Regardless of why you chose to apply to those schools, and so late, your current school list and application time minimized your chance for acceptance as opposed to maximize it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, include UF since those stats include non residents. The GPA and MCAT medians are slightly lower for residents.

Meharry and central Michigan has lower acceptance stats BECAUSE they are missions based. Your logic of applying there simply due to their seemingly low stats doesn't make sense.
Also, applying OOS is not a foreign concept to me because I go to an OOS school, but it's stupid to forego your state schools to apply to a bunch of missions-based OOS schools simply because you think they have lower stats. If you want to go OOS, you should at least apply to all your IS schools plus whatever OOS schools that are accessible to someone with your profile (hint, not meharry if you don't have commitment to the AA community). Regardless of why you chose to apply to those schools, and so late, your current school list and application time minimized your chance for acceptance as opposed to maximize it.

I forewent my states schools because I looked at their stats and was immediately turned off by that. But, thanks to helpful people like Faha I know state schools expect lower stats for IS incoming applicants. Also, its not "a bunch of mission based schools." You only named two, with a third maybe. Since I am applying to 18 schools (more now once I added the rest of the FL schools), 2 mission based schools does not make up the majority. Furthermore, I did apply to OOS schools that match my profile aside from the TWO that you mentioned; I.e. every school I applied to has an average accepted LizzyM score either lower or within 2 points of my own if higher.

Hello all, I just wanted to know what my chances are for admission this cycle. If anyone has applied with similar stats and has been accepted please let me know how long it took for interview invitations after secondaries, and number of ii’s You received.
Below are my stats

cGPA 3.50 sGPA 3.39 MCAT 509 (30-31) LizzyM: 65.5
White
, with disadvantaged status, wrote about desire to practice primary care in rural area in secondaries etc
Florida resident, USF grad with degree in cell and molecular bio, have 140 credits with many 4000-level science classes
2 years scribing experience (2300+hrs)
Volunteer work with phi theta kappa honor society and BASBE (100 hrs)
Health club Vice President
Judo member, tutoring exp at academic resource center
1 year experience as lab tech

Last semester GPA with upward trend.
Currently writing my secondaries, have two LORs but still waiting for two more from science professors, should have them in by Oct 30th.

Schools I applied to:
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Central Michigan
Albany
Meharry
FSU
FIU
GCSOM
Cooper at Rowan
Rush
Rosalind Franklin

DO schools:
Lecom Erie, Bradenton
NSUCOM
PCOM philly
Touro NY
NYIT
Rowan SOM

I forewent my states schools because I looked at their stats and was immediately turned off by that. But, thanks to helpful people like Faha I know state schools expect lower stats for IS incoming applicants. Also, its not "a bunch of mission based schools." You only named two, with a third maybe. Since I am applying to 18 schools (more now once I added the rest of the FL schools), 2 mission based schools does not make up the majority. Furthermore, I did apply to OOS schools that match my profile aside from the TWO that you mentioned; I.e. every school I applied to has an average accepted LizzyM score either lower or within 2 points of my own if higher.

On your list of MD schools, 9 out of 11 are OOS. 5 out of 9 are heavy missions based on service and other factors - Rush, Cooper, Central Michigan, Meharry, and GSCOM (formerly known as TCMC). Given the amount of volunteering you've done, I'll let you and others to judge the quality of your list of schools, especially taken into the fact that you are applying at this juncture of the cycle

Last edited:
On your list of MD schools, 9 out of 11 are OOS. 5 out of 9 are heavy missions based on service and other factors - Rush, Cooper, Central Michigan, Meharry, and GSCOM (formerly known as TCMC). Given the amount of volunteering you've done, I'll let you and others to judge the quality of your list of schools, especially taken into the fact that you are applying at this juncture of the cycle

Typing this response was a waste of your time, and reading it was a waste of mine. You only pointed out that a large portion are OOS, and I already stated I was trying to move out of state, so don’t really see what the point of that was.
Everyone applies to at least a few schools they may not have a shot at, that’s part of the process, and the ECs I listed aren’t all that appear on my application, I just wanted to paint a general picture with the stats and get some helpful information. I didnt post this to have people judge the quality of my school list, if you need clarification on why I made this post I suggest you reread it. If you wish to make helpful suggestions you are more than welcome to do so. I’m applying at this juncture because I took my MCAT August 18th, and am still pressing professors to hurry up with their rec letters. Again, that aspect was already pointed out and was not helpful since I don’t have a time machine.

Add more DO schools. Any you'd want to go to and meet the LOR requirements for.
You are late for MD and applied to relatively few schools where you had a good shot at (which you know) so chances of MD are pretty low right now. DO cycle is longer so I'd recommend broadening/focusing on your DO app list.

If you want more MD adds:
Case Western
NYMC
West Virginia University
Loyola
Oakland University William Beaumont
Jefferson
Temple (low yield)
Tulane (same)
EVMS
Creighton

Add more DO schools. Any you'd want to go to and meet the LOR requirements for.
You are late for MD and applied to relatively few schools where you had a good shot at (which you know) so chances of MD are pretty low right now. DO cycle is longer so I'd recommend broadening/focusing on your DO app list.

If you want more MD adds:
Case Western
NYMC
West Virginia University
Loyola
Oakland University William Beaumont
Jefferson
Temple (low yield)
Tulane (same)
EVMS
Creighton

Thanks, I guess I'll just keep my hopes up for MD. I added UCF, USF, FAU, and UM to my list for MD.. Maybe with some luck I can get an interview at USF since I have rec letters from professors there. Otherwise I am perfectly content going to a DO school.
I got a phone call from NSU asking when I'd have my rec letters in, so it seems I should expect an interview from them once I have them submitted.
Thanks for the advice!
Any DO school suggestions? There are only 2 in FL, I was considering applying to 2-3 more but not sure where else my chances would be optimized. I favored the Northeastern area because my fiance goes to PA school there, and I just generally like that area and would move there permanently given the opportunity.

Anywhere you want, really. Your GPAs are around the average and your MCAT is great for DO schools. Pick a few you like. I would highly recommend DMU though, loved their campus.
My only advice is to apply as soon as possible, while DO cycle is longer and you have a very competitive app, by the time you submit and finish secondaries it'll be edging towards November.