Chances at SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If by legitimate you mean legitimately as high a chance of never getting a residency after $300k as getting one, then yes. Legitimate chance

Two things...

1. Try to look at it with more of an open-mind. The high-risk at St. George's is for those students who do not know what they are doing and that's their fault, not the schools. Please read the blog below as it clearly shows prospective students what NOT to do when you get to medical school.

2. You have a lot of posts there my friend lol. I just noticed that. With the math, I think that is coming out to roughly 3100 posts a year. I think in that time you should have been able to see 7 or 8 classes graduate from SGU.

Members don't see this ad.

Two things...

1. Try to look at it with more of an open-mind. The high-risk at St. George's is for those students who do not know what they are doing and that's their fault, not the schools. Please read the blog below as it clearly shows prospective students what NOT to do when you get to medical school.

2. You have a lot of posts there my friend lol. I just noticed that. With the math, I think that is coming out to roughly 3100 posts a year. I think in that time you should have been able to see 7 or 8 classes graduate from SGU.
And half those 7-8 classes if matriculants never got a US residency. That’s more impressive than a blog post

Reactions: 1 user
And half those 7-8 classes if matriculants never got a US residency. That’s more impressive than a blog post

I guess those students should have read the blog post then lol.

What do you think about those that graduated though? I think that's the whole idea with school right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess those students should have read the blog post then lol.

What do you think about those that graduated though? I think that's the whole idea with school right?
Nope. Because on this site we aren’t really having that discussion with graduates. The majority of this discussion is with applicants and it’s a HORRIBLE risk vs reward for applicants. Graduates are already stuck and just have to hope for the best

I’m seriously concerned about applicants

Reactions: 2 users
Nope. Because on this site we aren’t really having that discussion with graduates. The majority of this discussion is with applicants and it’s a HORRIBLE risk vs reward for applicants. Graduates are already stuck and just have to hope for the best

That's a legitimate concern.

My honest suggestion is to tell students with low stats not to apply. I would tell 99% of that population that their chances of completing a graduate medical curriculum are slim to none.

But if you have a student with a 500MCAT and a GPA over 3.2 well then they have the scientific foundation as well as work ethic to transition to medical school where the adjustment would be much smaller than the former group.

Lets agree on one thing, you don't need a 520MCAT or a 3.75GPA to study medicine. You might however need those stats to get into some of the best schools.

That's a legitimate concern.

My honest suggestion is to tell students with low stats not to apply. I would tell 99% of that population that their chances of completing a graduate medical curriculum are slim to none.

But if you have a student with a 500MCAT and a GPA over 3.2 well then they have the scientific foundation as well as work ethic to transition to medical school where the adjustment would be much smaller than the former group.

Lets agree on one thing, you don't need a 520MCAT or a 3.75GPA to study medicine. You might however need those stats to get into some of the best schools.
I think if a US student can’t get into a US school, they should look for another career

Reactions: 4 users
I think if a US student can’t get into a US school, they should look for another career

I'm going to be very blunt because sometimes we need to be blunt.

Nobody will give up the opportunity to make 300K as a primary care physician (yes, they do make that much and sometimes a lot more in certain geographical locations) just because a US school will not accept them to medical school.

I think that's a discussion that a little taboo because nobody likes to talk about money but if you actually have family members who are in the medical field, you will realize the salaries do not line up with whatever is posted online...and some of these students (and their physician parents) know this and encourage them to continue to study medicine. And that is not specific to any particular race or ethnic group...everybody is aware of this.

So yeah, nobody will throw that opportunity away to become a PA making 110K. It ain't happening in this lifetime.

I'm going to be very blunt because sometimes we need to be blunt.

Nobody will give up the opportunity to make 300K as a primary care physician (yes, they do make that much and sometimes a lot more in certain geographical locations) just because a US school will not accept them to medical school.

I think that's a discussion that a little taboo because nobody likes to talk about money but if you actually have family members who are in the medical field, you will realize the salaries do not line up with whatever is posted online...and some of these students (and their physician parents) know this and encourage them to continue to study medicine. And that is not specific to any particular race or ethnic group...everybody is aware of this.

So yeah, nobody will throw that opportunity away to become a PA making 110K. It ain't happening in this lifetime.
I’m a doctor. I know the numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a doctor. I know the numbers.

Good, my mom and dad are too.

I'm also sure you would agree that money in medicine comes down to business acumen. A business-savvy family doc can potentially make more money than a cardiologist who has zero business sense. It's a shame they don't teach you how to run a business in medical school but a medical practice really is more business and less free-clinic.

My dad is still in practice in central New Jersey as a family physician and makes 300K seeing roughly 25 patients per day at two locations with his group. He is not employed by a hospital. Any doubts about that figure and I'm sure he would be more than happy to speak with you if you wish.

My mom is a retired anesthesiologist who made at least 500K a year throughout the 90's.

• Inappropriate

I'm also sure you would agree that money in medicine comes down to business acumen. A business-savvy family doc can potentially make more money than a cardiologist who has zero business sense. It's a shame they don't teach you how to run a business in medical school but a medical practice really is more business and less free-clinic.

My dad is still in practice in central New Jersey as a family physician and makes 300K seeing roughly 25 patients per day at two locations with his group. He is not employed by a hospital. Any doubts about that figure and I'm sure he would be more than happy to speak with you if you wish.

My mom is a retired anesthesiologist who made at least 500K a year throughout the 90's.
Doesn’t change odds of leaving the carribean for a US residency. We’re not going to agree on this issue

Anecdotes mean nothing against stats. The fact is that you have a greater chance of not being a doctor than being a doctor if you go to a carribean school. This says nothing about the quality of those doctors.

Doesn’t change odds of leaving the carribean for a US residency. We’re not going to agree on this issue

But I do agree that certain students should not be applying to these schools. I think that is really where these types of discussions should be going.

Anecdotes mean nothing against stats. The fact is that you have a greater chance of not being a doctor than being a doctor if you go to a carribean school. This says nothing about the quality of those doctors.

Then don't apply Caribbean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

Damn bro ... mY paRenTs ArE DoCTOrS loOk at hoW muCH thEY MaKEe

Reactions: 6 users

Reading this gave me secondary embarrassment.

• Haha
  • Love
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. Enjoy, sir, your insensibility of feeling and reflecting. It is the prerogative of animals.

Thomas Paine: American Crisis

Reactions: 7 users
To argue with a man blah blah blah, and whose philosophy consists in blah blah blah, is like administering medicine to the blah blah blah, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by blah blah blah. Enjoy, sir, your insensibility of feeling and reflecting. It is the blah blah blah.

I suppose you were directing this comment at me lol but I went through that blog post you had sent me and I found this gem hidden in the last paragraph. So next time you recommend someone read something "negative," make sure to read the article yourself first before questioning anybody's "reasoning."

As the term went on, I continued studying but I was also very much committed to other things. I not only performed but also hosted a cultural show within the month of our final exams. I certainly had overcommitted myself and I learned that the hard way. I was very distracted as finals neared, I was going through a lot of problems in my personal relationships and many developments were taking place on the homefront that needed my time and attention. Despite all this, I studied as much as I could but I already had a bad feeling about the dark future that lay ahead…I knew I wasn’t ready to take my physio final. I knew the night before when I was practically pulling an all-nighter trying to solidify the concepts in my head, but they just weren’t sticking. I wasn’t doing well on the questions but I wasn’t doing awful either. I was scared because I wasn’t prepared like I was for my other classes. Soon after I took my physio final, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. There was an overwhelming darkness consuming me. It was a familiar feeling because I had felt it before. I felt it when I had failed all my midterms first term. I knew this feeling, I knew it like I knew myself…

...And the author of this blog is probably still wondering today why others became doctors and she didn't.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike

Most of us are tired of having this discussion. There's more than a few successful SGU graduates/residents/attendings that visit this forum, it's just exhausting having the same 3 conversations ad nauseum so we mostly stay silent. The fact that there are successful graduates that get good residencies also doesn't change the fact that the odds are increasingly shifting away from Caribbean medical schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Most of us are tired of having this discussion. There's more than a few successful SGU graduates/residents/attendings that visit this forum, it's just exhausting having the same 3 conversations ad nauseum so we mostly stay silent. The fact that there are successful graduates that get good residencies also doesn't change the fact that the odds are increasingly shifting away from Caribbean medical schools.

Regarding the person I'm quoting above. All I seem to see from there posts is this general theme..."Yeah, SGU worked for me and I consider myself a good doctor but don't you dare go to the Caribbean."

Pick which side man lol

• Inappropriate
Putting me on probationary status really does not accomplish much but it's quite clear that this website has some hidden agenda with people applying to the Caribbean.

Regarding the person I'm quoting above. All I seem to see from there posts is this general theme..."Yeah, SGU worked for me and I consider myself a good doctor but don't you dare go to the Caribbean."

Pick which side man lol
The site definitely does not have any agenda. They are neutral.

My agenda is very open

Almost no one here has a hidden agenda

• Love
Also, just for the people that are pulling the strings behind this website. Rumor is going around that LizzyM
The site definitely does not have any agenda. They are neutral.

My agenda is very open

Almost no one here has a hidden agenda

Dude, there is an agenda. To be even more frank rumor in the pre-med community is that the adcom's here are really just SDN trolls.

Just sayin'

• Haha
  • Okay...
Putting me on probationary status really does not accomplish much but it's quite clear that this website has some hidden agenda with people applying to the Caribbean.

Pick which side man lol
Those who went to the carib, and those who didn't, are very clear and articulate on their reasons why they don't recommend the Caribbean using statistics and data to support their opinions. If you don't agree, that's fine. But at least give a coherent argument or data to support your reasoning.

And no, SDN is not out to get you, or any current Caribbean students, or any future Carribean students. SDN gives users the ability to make an informed decision.

I ask again, why are you on here?

Also, just for the people that are pulling the strings behind this website. Rumor is going around that LizzyM

Dude, there is an agenda. To be even more frank rumor in the pre-med community is that the adcom's here are really just SDN trolls.

Just sayin'

Stop trolling, or give coherent arguments and proof that adcom's are trolls.

Those who went to the carib, and those who didn't, are very clear and articulate on their reasons why they don't recommend the Caribbean using statistics and data to support their opinions. If you don't agree, that's fine. But at least give a coherent argument or data to support your reasoning.

And no, SDN is not out to get you, or any current Caribbean students, or any future Carribean students. SDN gives users the ability to make an informed decision.

I ask again, why are you on here?

Just keep in mind, I'm here shootin' the breeze with you till I get in for August. Other than that, those students that are succeeding at SGU and even other Caribbean schools don't waste their time here arguing with the likes of people like you who claim to be medical students but somehow have the time to peruse these threads?

The anti-Caribbean argument here is rather weak. I was expecting some more substance but I have failed to see it. That's how you know when someone has no idea what they're talking about.

Keep trying though but I'd recommend taking a different stance because a school like SGU, just like US schools, is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Just keep in mind, I'm here shootin' the breeze with you till I get in for August. Other than that, those students that are succeeding at SGU and even other Caribbean schools don't waste their time here arguing with the likes of people like you who claim to be medical students but somehow have the time to peruse these threads?

The anti-Caribbean argument here is rather weak. I was expecting some more substance but I have failed to see it. That's how you know when someone has no idea what they're talking about.

Keep trying though but I'd recommend taking a different stance because a school like SGU, just like US schools, is not going anywhere anytime soon.
*sigh*

See you on the flip side, man.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. Enjoy, sir, your insensibility of feeling and reflecting. It is the prerogative of animals.

Have fun driving for Uber.
Kudos to the mods for another satisfying Banhammer smack.

Attachments

• Stop.jpg
    Stop.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Love
MCAT and Step 1 have a 0.72 correlation coefficient per a 2019 study. There is no standardized test that's a perfect predictor of anything since people have different strengths and change over time. Multivariable analysis of factors associated with USMLE scores across U.S. medical schools
Hate to comment on a super old thread, but I also just came across this. Not sure how reliable these studies really are since I have seen many more studies that show the correlation coefficient to be 0.5 something, and the studies literally saying that the correlation between MCAT and Step 1 is poor. Here is a NIH paper: Do MCAT scores predict USMLE scores? An analysis on 5 years of medical student data. There are drastically many other factors that make someone a good doctor besides MCAT and Steps. One can even argue the MCAT is useless due to the irrelevance of its content outside of the test. The only reason why there is a slight correlation, is probably because they are both standardized tests.