Chances At These Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
V

vo-zhd

3.35-3.39 cgpa and bcpm, 37 mcat. well regarded school(but not an ivy). ny resident.
evms, albany, mt sinai, rfu, nymc, suny upstate, suny buffalo, rochester, gwu, georgetown, medical college of wisconsin, uvm, drexel, jefferson, temple, penn state, tufts.

any schools i should completely take off the list? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are great everywhere but Penn State and Sinai which are a "meh" and "good enough to apply," respectively. GW and Georgetown might be a little iffy since they screen so thoroughly, but I'd apply there anyway if you can stomach the stupid app fees and cost of living in D.C.

I think your chances are great everywhere but Penn State and Sinai which are a "meh" and "good enough to apply," respectively. GW and Georgetown might be a little iffy since they screen so thoroughly, but I'd apply there anyway if you can stomach the stupid app fees and cost of living in D.C.
thank you! yeah i know sinai is too high(it feels like a waste of time to fill out all those essays if i dont have a chance). i didnt know that penn state was the 2nd most competitive of the ones i listed and i was very interested in that school because it has a large ugrad, which is what i like. as for gwu and georgetown, i dont care about them as much(not a great fan of DC), but i thought that gwu wasnt nearly as selective based on their msar numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking Penn State had a really high median MCAT score (35) for some reason, but it doesn't. Carry on!

GW and Georgetown aren't so much selective as they are notorious for screening like crazy. They get 15000+ apps every year, so they have to cut that pool down somehow. I'm not really sure why their average scores aren't higher.

GW and Georgetown aren't so much selective as they are notorious for screening like crazy. They get 15000+ apps every year, so they have to cut that pool down somehow. I'm not really sure why their average scores aren't higher.

Yeah, I think GW and Gtown are kind of like the "safety" schools for a lot of the top tier applicants, but also the top choice for many applicants for various reasons, so they get A LOT of applications. Jefferson is kind of the same way.

I'm pretty sure these guys know that they might be the safeties for most of those 3.7+/35+ people, and might screen them out, or just offer them interviews later in the season (giving the applicant time to get accepted elsewhere maybe). Might explain why their numbers aren't higher.

thanks. i wonder though if any of those schools would outright reject me for the low gpa? for example MCW has a low mcat avg but their cgpa avg is 3.70... and the same with SUNY