What are my chances at getting into these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExAmateurEconomist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I want to get into either Mercer or Morehouse (wait, forgive me if I sound ignorant, but isn't morehouse a historically black school? can i get in if im turkish? i know a syrian young lady who got into their medical program). maybe emory. i did the calculations and my gpa will be in between 3,04 and 3.16, maximum 3.16. that is if i get 4s on all science classes and 2s or 3s on my 2 math classes, fine arts class, and foreign langauge class (in that case, worst case scenario if i get all 3s on all those and a 2 in calculus, and 4s in all major classes, 3.04, if 4s on everything 3.16). im considering doing a psychology major to make it easier, and get into psychiatry, since i may find psychology easier than biology. what mcat score would i need? while i go to college im going to be going to a cna (certified nursing assistant) program to get my clinical hours, and later shadow a doctor, i want to get as much as i can. i heard 1800 hours is good based on a post here.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get into either Mercer or Morehouse (wait, forgive me if I sound ignorant, but isn't morehouse a historically black school? can i get in if im turkish? i know a syrian young lady who got into their medical program). maybe emory. i did the calculations and my gpa will be in between 3,04 and 3.16, maximum 3.16. that is if i get 4s on all science classes and 2s or 3s on my 2 math classes, fine arts class, and foreign langauge class (in that case, worst case scenario if i get all 3s on all those and a 2 in calculus, and 4s in all major classes, 3.04, if 4s on everything 3.16). im considering doing a psychology major to make it easier, and get into psychiatry, since i may find psychology easier than biology. what mcat score would i need? while i go to college im going to be going to a cna (certified nursing assistant) program to get my clinical hours, and later shadow a doctor, i want to get as much as i can. i heard 1800 hours is good based on a post here.
It's impossible to answer this without an MCAT score, and hypotheticals are really a waste of our time.

And without significant service to communities of color, applying to Morehouse would be a donation for you.

Focus on reinventing your GPAs and building a good application. But first priority is your mental health.

Reactions: 1 users
Your best friend for specific schools will be MSAR. It will tell you the 10th-90th %ile GPAs/MCATs of both accepted students and matriculants.
From a quick internet search, I found the following info:

Morehouse
avg 2021 matriculant GPA: 3.63, MCAT: 504 (67th %ile)

Mercer
avg 2020 matriculant GPA: 3.68, MCAT: 503

Your GPA is on the low end, but unlikely to get you completely screened out. However, it's likely going to give you some trouble. I'll suggest Goro's guide to reinvention, but as for other GPA advice, I'll leave that one to the SDN pros. Again, I do STRONGLY recommend getting MSAR to get a sense of the span of accepted GPAs is. You may also want to consider DO, which tends to be a bit more reinvention-friendly in their admissions processes.

As far as MCAT, it's a little tricky. Doing as well as you can is never going to detract from your app, but be prepared to address questions about MCAT/GPA discrepancies in your interviews. In order to compensate for your GPA, it probably would be best to aim for a higher MCAT (i.e. >510). The average MD matriculant MCAT is >511.

Because the med school acceptance rates are super low, the average applicant applies to something like 16 or 17 schools. To maximize your chances, your list really needs to include more than 2 schools.

As far as your major, don't stress too much about it. If you like psychology, then major in it. If not, then don't. Psych and bio are not the only two majors that will get you into med school. As long as you get the pre-reqs out of the way, medical schools generally won't care what you majored in. In fact, having a more unique major may help to set you apart in a sea of bio/chem/psych majors. But be forewarned, the basic science part of med school is like majoring in bio, but harder.

The general rule for clinical hours is that more is better. Having a substantial amount sets your application apart, and an adcom told me once that lack of clinical experience was one of the most common reasons for rejecting an interviewed applicant. Get as much as you can while still keeping the other areas of your app strong. IDK much about the specifics, so trust the post you read, especially if it was by one of the SDN adcom members.

Good luck!

CAVEAT: I'm not an expert. I'm just a medical student who spends wayyyy too much time on here instead of studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

@Goro makes a point that we can't give you odds, but I don't read your question that way. I think you need to read up on the missions for Mercer and Morehouse. Yes, they are HBCU's, but it should be clear from their mission statements that their goal is to train physicians to care for historically disenfranchised populations among those who are from these communities. They look at and accept people with lower metrics because these schools understand the social and structural barriers that play into educational and health care disparities.

It does sound like you are in high school now and are trying to choose an undergraduate program. You have time.

How far along in school are you? When do you plan to apply? Your current GPAs are very low for any kind of medical school, especially MD schools. DO schools are more forgiving and reinvention is a good thing. So obviously you have some work to do before you can even begin to study for the MCAT or make plans to apply.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users