DO Chances at upper tier Pathology programs? If not, where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StormRising

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thanks for reading. I am a third year medical student. I am really interested in pathology. I shadowed a pathologist before med school. I was wondering what you guys think of my chances at upper tier programs (say Emory). I am a DO student. I have zero research. My boards are USMLE Step 1: 233, COMLEX Level 1 561. I know my lack of research may hold me back at these programs. If that's the case, which programs should I take a good look at?

Members don't see this ad.

I certainly wouldn't say you're a shoo-in for top tier programs but the field is so uncompetitive that with a 233 step 1 and no red flags it's definitely reasonable to aim for top tier. I would be surprised if you didn't at least get an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a relief. I really want to stay in a major city in the Southeast, Atlanta being my number 1 choice.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re probably fine. To most people Path residency is about as desirable as a flat tire.

I would consider trying to get some research to add to your CV and definitely get in contact with your school’s path faculty and let them know you’re interested. As they say, luck favors the prepared and if you set the stage now for good opportunities to come your way you can get a lot done before your ERAS application goes out. You have to work the connections you can make and turn them into CV material and Letters of Recommendation, just like all of us do.

You’re 10 points over the mean step 1 of matched DO’s in path according to the 2018 charting outcomes and your COMLEX is slightly higher (but I have absolutely no idea how that test is scaled or what a good score is). You’ll certainly be able to match, but someone (Pathology program directors) with more specific knowledge probably knows better just how competitive it is at top-20 Path programs.

Nobody wants to be a pathologist. You will be fine and have a decent shot at top tier program.

But you must add research. Top tier are considered such because of their research so you must have the same

Nobody wants to be a pathologist. You will be fine and have a decent shot at top tier program.

But you must add research. Top tier are considered such because of their research so you must have the same
ouch :)))) I wanna be a pathologist :)

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a niche that’s great for the right people!
i fell in love with pathology a while ago, but my feelings were "reconfirmed" when i did 3 month internship in NIH in the pathology lab, where i pretty much rotated through the whole service. It was incredible! it really changed the way i looked at medicine. That being said, i am trying to be open minded, and i want to explore a few other specialties

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a niche that’s great for the right people!
Not great for anyone if you can't get a job after 12 yrs of schooling with 300k of student debt... To each their own!

Not great for anyone if you can't get a job after 12 yrs of schooling with 300k of student debt... To each their own!
oh, please dont be like that. Each specialty has its difficulties, but you can make a good career in pathology. Negativity can be demotivating for someone who wants to do it.

oh, please dont be like that. Each specialty has its difficulties, but you can make a good career in pathology. Negativity can be demotivating for someone who wants to do it.

It’s okay I am doing Anesthesiology and the same thing is everywhere. Somehow salaries go up and everyone gets jobs every year.

I am not discouraging anyone; I just want med students to do their research before going into a specialty. I had two classmates who bailed out from pathology after they learned about the job market and the defacto fellowship(s) they will have to do to even make themselves marketable.

You’re probably fine. To most people Path residency is about as desirable as a flat tire.

I would consider trying to get some research to add to your CV and definitely get in contact with your school’s path faculty and let them know you’re interested. As they say, luck favors the prepared and if you set the stage now for good opportunities to come your way you can get a lot done before your ERAS application goes out. You have to work the connections you can make and turn them into CV material and Letters of Recommendation, just like all of us do.

You’re 10 points over the mean step 1 of matched DO’s in path according to the 2018 charting outcomes and your COMLEX is slightly higher (but I have absolutely no idea how that test is scaled or what a good score is). You’ll certainly be able to match, but someone (Pathology program directors) with more specific knowledge probably knows better just how competitive it is at top-20 Path programs.

Unfortunately, it's already mid-April. I don't think it would be possible or even ideal to start doing research at this point because I have COMLEX PE in May, Step 2 CK and Level 2 CE in June-July. I would definitely be open to doing research during residency though.

Unfortunately, it's already mid-April. I don't think it would be possible or even ideal to start doing research at this point because I have COMLEX PE in May, Step 2 CK and Level 2 CE in June-July. I would definitely be open to doing research during residency though.
Pump out a couple case reports for a local poster session. It doesn’t have to be extensive research but you need to have something

It’s April in New York too — you have time! Contact some people in Path, find a conference or two to target (doesnt have to be big) and try to work out a poster or case report. Often you can help with something ongoing, get your name on, or offer to do the presentation.

This isn’t about winning grant money or a Nobel prize, it’s about cranking up your CV and getting you matched where you want to be!

Start small and see what you can rustle up with what limited time we have left before ERAS.

if the realities of the field "discourage" students from entering it, then that is not "negativity"

I am not discouraging anyone; I just want med students to do their research before going into a specialty. I had two classmates who bailed out from pathology after they learned about the job market and the defacto fellowship(s) they will have to do to even make themselves marketable.

It sounds like they bailed before trying their hand in the job market. It's no worse in pathology than in any other specialty; I get contacted about job searches every week. Also like in every specialty, moving to a desirable area will be harder and entry-level people may not be able to land their dream job. Those are just universal realities.

The only pathologists I know to have had trouble getting a job had disabling personal issues and were probably not a good fit for medicine to begin with.

21Rush12 was right on. Pathology is a great fit for the right person.