Chances based on application and school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racetraitor95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, new poster...I would just like some genuine feedback of my chances for some of the more competitive schools on my list and if there are any suggestions for the school list (good balance of reach, target, safe?) or application in general. I do feel by ECs outside of research are somewhat weak and cookie cutter. Research is definitely the strongest portion of my application...

State: Texas Resident, went to school in Texas (graduated in 3 yrs and am in gap year) - orm male
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA: 3.94 (TMDSAS), 3.91 (AMCAS)
sGPA: 3.89 (TMDSAS), 3.86 (AMCAS)
MCAT: 518 (131, 128, 129, 131)

Research: 3.5 years in basic science research at a respected medical school known for its metabolism work. I am on 2 publications (5th, 6th author) and will very likely be on a third paper by the time I apply. I also had a oral presentation of an independent project at a lipid/diabetes conference (this work will likely be published late this year - will absolutely be co-first author, but not in enough time to make it immediately relevant to med schools). No first author paper....though I am currently independently working on another project that is likely to be published in 2018, on top of the previously mentioned paper. I also applied for and received an AHA summer grant and took part in a summer research fellowship at the same research school.

Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours at a free clinic (largely doing triage and lab teching....fluid analysis)
Non-clinical Volunteering: 120 hours tutoring children at a women's/refugee shelter, 40 hours with an organization that helps the homeless (food distribution)
Shadowing: 2o hours family practitioner, 20 hours pediatric endocrinologist, 2o hours performing adipose tissue biopsies on post-partum women with another endocrinologist....might have another 10-20 hours in neurosurgery, but not guaranteed.
Other: club officer for a premed organization, received 1st place in the state (twice) for a nationwide undergraduate premed competition.

Schools: all 10 TMDSAS schools (UTSW is my overall top choice), Baylor, Case Western, CCLCM, Georgetown, George Washington, Saint Louis, Rochester, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, Duke, Harvard

Members don't see this ad.