Chances? (cGPA 3.2, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 514)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Houstonian90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have a chance at any MD schools? Have mostly applied to DO schools but wanted to ask if I should apply to any MD schools with my stats. Have only applied to GT, Tulane, Rosalind Franklin, CMU, and VCU so far.

Strong ECs. Non-trad with a graduate degree from abroad (GPA not included in AMCAS GPA calculation). 4 years work experience. Lots of clinical and non-clinical hours.

Should also mention my sGPA is much higher is because I finished my science prereqs recently but my undergrad degree is from 4 years ago. I guess I would fall under 'reinvention' category.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have a chance at any MD schools? Have mostly applied to DO schools but wanted to ask if I should apply to any MD schools with my stats. Have only applied to GT, Tulane, Rosalind Franklin, CMU, and VCU so far.

Strong ECs. Non-trad with a graduate degree from abroad (GPA not included in AMCAS GPA calculation). 4 years work experience. Lots of clinical and non-clinical hours.

Should also mention my sGPA is much higher is because I finished my science prereqs recently but my undergrad degree is from 4 years ago. I guess I would fall under 'reinvention' category.
I think so, what state are you from? If not from MI, CMU was likely a waste.

I think so, what state are you from? If not from MI, CMU was likely a waste.

Well that sucks haha.
From Cali.

@Goro I have noticed you helping people out on sdn. Could you please give me your opinion too? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
ADD Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian), UCD, UCI and UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire, Loyola and Oakland-B. Also:

WVU
Rush
MCW
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
GWU

Do you have a strong upward GPA trend?

ADD Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian), UCD, UCI and UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire, Loyola and Oakland-B. Also:

WVU
Rush
MCW
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
GWU

Do you have a strong upward GPA trend?

Thanks @Goro ! Yeah definitely a strong upward GPA trend! Went up every year. Post-bacc being 3.9.

Any point in applying to Darthmouth and/or Pennstate?

Thanks @Goro ! Yeah definitely a strong upward GPA trend! Went up every year. Post-bacc being 3.9.

Any point in applying to Darthmouth and/or Pennstate?
In that case, add Dartmouth, Case, BU, Miami, Loyola, Tulane. If you has lots of service to the underserved, add Keck.

I cannot recommend Penn state. Do a search as to why.

Reactions: 1 user
In that case, add Dartmouth, Case, BU, Miami, Loyola, Tulane. If you has lots of service to the underserved, add Keck.

I cannot recommend Penn state. Do a search as to why.
Thank you!

Goro's reasons against PSU have been widely debated and discussed for the better part of almost six years now. However, if you actually WANT to go there, apply, OP.

Don't apply schools you'd never want to go to. Chances if you don't apply to a particular school are zero. Check MSAR and school missions. Goro mentioned some schools that reward reinvention (Dartmouth, for example).

Reactions: 1 user