chances: CGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijaboiler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brief Bio

- 26 year old non-trad, graduated in 2006 in mech engineering from a solid engineering school
- about 3.23 GPA (possibly lower) from 5 stellar semesters (~3.9+ gpa) and 3 horrible ones (~2.0gpa)
- ~3.8 sGPA
- 38O MCAT (P:13 V:12 B13)
- URM
- informal post-bacc since last summer (40credit hours in all) at 4.0
- no medical related research experience (have extensive mech engr reasearch but no pubs)
- > 100hrs shadowing a wide range of specialties
- 100hours of clinical volunteer experience

what are my chances and what range of schools should i be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

Your nontrad status, excellent MCAT score, and recent strong academic work with a good BCPM GPA has a high chance of trumping the low cGPA and getting you past initial screening.

Engineering research is fine and just as valid on a med school application as basic science or clinical research. The shadowing is above average, but the clinical experience below par ( so keep building it). Do you have any leadership, teaching, nonmedical community service, artistic endeavors, sports or hobbies to add to the Experiences section to make you look well-rounded and interesting? These are the areas that have more impact on whether you'll be offered an interview.

With such a disparity in your stats, you'll need to apply to a wide range of schools. I'd pick out some highly-selective dream schools, a good number of medium selective schools and some safety schools. The mission of the schools you have the best chance at should match your past activities.

Thank you catalysik. in addition to what i listed above

- > 300hr non-medical volunteer services during my undergrad way before i ever though of med school. Mostly tutoring and organizing programs for poor, inner city schools kids via a NSBE program at my school
- ~ 50hours non clinical volunteer experience at a hospital
- T.A. for calculus Calculus for 2 semesters
- play piano and have been a church choir director for years now

and during my undergrad. I worked 3 years (~30 hrs a week) taking care of developmentally disabled adults, helping them learn new skills and be integrated into the larger community. will that count as some medical work experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
and during my undergrad. I worked 3 years (~30 hrs a week) taking care of developmentally disabled adults, helping them learn new skills and be integrated into the larger community. will that count as some medical work experience?
It is certainly a medically-relevant activity, though possibly not clinical experience. It sounds like you were teaching (another important experience to list), rather than assisting with medical care.

As LizzyM, one of SDN's regular adcomm posters said on 6/13/08
Disabled people are people. Interacting with them in their day-to-day lives, reading books, watching movies, etc is not a clinical activity. When I have a disabled person to dinner at my house, the activity is not "clinical.
If you are engaged in administering medication, changing dressings, doing skin checks for early detection of skin breakdown, or other health care type things then you can call it clinical.

The additional activities you've mentioned will make you a very solid, interesting applicant. I think you'll do well in the application cycle.

Your nontrad status, excellent MCAT score, and recent strong academic work with a good BCPM GPA has a high chance of trumping the low cGPA and getting you past initial screening.

Engineering research is fine and just as valid on a med school application as basic science or clinical research. ..

I was wondering if clinical psychology research is considered as clinical research?