Chances? cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.6, 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaykronik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I would love some input into my app in general, specifically schools to apply to. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle, and I have just received my MCAT. I'm confident with my GPA, rigor of undergrad education, volunteer work, shadowing, work experience, etc., but I'm not very confident about the MCAT. For some reason the reading didn't work out...and my pre-heath advisor is a little weary of this. Any input? I will be (hopefully) matriculating when I am 24 after two years of research at a prestigious cancer center.

Year in school: 2015 Graduate, Chemistry major

State: CT

Race/Gender: White male

School List:
Albany
Creighton
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Hofstra
Loyola Stritch
Med college of Wisconsin
New York Med
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Tufts
UConn
UVM
UMass (now accepting a few OOS apps, worked here in undergrad)
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

MCAT Scores: 510 (83rd%) [130 (97th%) / 125 (58th%) / 128 (87th%) / 127 (75th%)]

Research – Undergrad: 2 yrs medicinal chemistry research, 1 publication (2nd author), 1 national poster presentation (American Chemical Society)
Postgrad: Currently a clinical research assistant at a very large name cancer institute. Expecting 1 pub before next cycle

Volunteering – 100 hrs standard hospital volunteering. 50 hrs locked ward Alzheimer's patient volunteering in their activity room

Physician shadowing – 200+ hrs pediatric surgery, 60 hr general peds, 12 hr anesthesiology

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good, though I would drop UMass. Also consider a couple DO apps if you want to guarantee an acceptance.

Looks good, though I would drop UMass. Also consider a couple DO apps if you want to guarantee an acceptance.
Hey thanks for the response! Yes, UMass does bring some concern...I'm probably better off saving that money. I am considering a few DO apps, how many do you think would be appropriate for this situation?

In addition, do you think I would be screened out at any MDs with my verbal score? That is my big concern...I don't want to waste the money (which is tight atm), time, and effort. Trying to be realistic about this whole process. I am definitely NOT retaking the exam.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the response! Yes, UMass does bring some concern...I'm probably better off saving that money. I am considering a few DO apps, how many do you think would be appropriate for this situation?

In addition, do you think I would be screened out at any MDs with my verbal score? That is my big concern...I don't want to waste the money (which is tight atm), time, and effort. Trying to be realistic about this whole process. I am definitely NOT retaking the exam.

Thanks!

Your verbal is fine. Drop UMASS, it's a waste of money, you aren't going to be among the 5 OOS matriculants at that school with a 3.7/31. There are many other schools you can be a matriculant at with a 3.7/31 and you've listed a fair amount of them. I would probably remove Hofstra, Stony Brook and Dartmouth due to your MCAT.

If you want more MD schools to replace with, consider Miami, Saint Louis, George Washington, Drexel, Temple, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind, Oakland, Western Michigan and maybe Tulane. Add that to your list, and I would count around 20 schools you have a realistic shot at a II for. Even though some of these are low yield, that's often enough for someone with stats that are at least around what an MD matriculant has. You probably would only need to add 6-8 DO schools and the app cycle is longer for DO programs so honestly what you could do is apply to MD's in June and wait until October/Nov and if you haven't heard good news yet then start throwing in DO apps.

Your verbal is fine. Drop UMASS, it's a waste of money, you aren't going to be among the 5 OOS matriculants at that school with a 3.7/31. There are many other schools you can be a matriculant at with a 3.7/31 and you've listed a fair amount of them. I would probably remove Hofstra, Stony Brook and Dartmouth due to your MCAT.

If you want more MD schools to replace with, consider Miami, Saint Louis, George Washington, Drexel, Temple, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind, Oakland, Western Michigan and maybe Tulane. Add that to your list, and I would count around 20 schools you have a realistic shot at a II for. Even though some of these are low yield, that's often enough for someone with stats that are at least around what an MD matriculant has. You probably would only need to add 6-8 DO schools and the app cycle is longer for DO programs so honestly what you could do is apply to MD's in June and wait until October/Nov and if you haven't heard good news yet then start throwing in DO apps.
Great, thanks for the input. I'll definitely take a look into these schools in MSAR. I also didn't know that was the timeline for DO schools...do you think if I wait that long, DO schools will assume I am "falling back" on them? Is that even a legitimate stigma at this point? In terms of DO schools, I am pretty interested in PCOM and UNECOM...but I know this is an allo forum so I don't want to talk too much on that. If you have any more input, I would appreciate it.