Chances for a Cali school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoBad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already graduated from UCSD with a 3.71ish GPA, s and c, and 35 MCAT. I'm constantly told how notoriously difficult it is to get into a Cali school (and asian), so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I'm looking.

My ECs, aren't too stellar compared to a lot of what I've seen on the forums. First two years of college I didn't do any ECs other than non-official stuff, and there was a dip in grades latter half of sophmore year (1 C- but I retook the course and got an A, couple of Bs for two quarters). Starting from that summer, I was in a volunteer English teacher program for poor kids in another country for a month, 6 months of hospital volunteering when school started, A's for grades again, and for senior year 6 months of independent research "course" (does that count as research?), and 3 months of volunteering at the same hospital again. Senior grades included lots of A+'s. Currently I'm traveling around the world and went with a primary care medical team as a volunteer to India for 1.5 weeks and two seperate weekend trips to more rural areas in the country. Also spent many summers when growing up hanging around a clinic run by a relative, but I don't think that really is anything I can put on my transcript :).

I have 4 LoRs, with 2 probably really good (1 from Professor I worked under during the independent research "course"), and the other two are likely decent.

Anybody have a rough estimate at my chances at a Cali school ( I do hear UCSD tends to give their own graduates a higher chance), or what I can do to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours of clinical exp do you have back here in the states? (pref. 150+)
Any shadowing exp? (pref. 2-3 physicians with at least 1 in FM... 20 hrs each)
Any consistent non-medical volunteering gig other than your 1 month tutoring English in another country?
Any consistent leadership/teaching exp?
Any special talents/music/sports to showcase?

Your GPA and MCAT look fine. I'm not sure how strong your ECs are without more details. I do think you should put your focus back here in the states and especially when you're applying this upcoming cycle.

Anybody have a rough estimate at my chances at a Cali school

Your chances are not good at all, simply because it's
notoriously difficult it is to get into a Cali school
There is much fire to this smoke, my unlucky CA-resident friend. The things that buff an application aren't a secret and are well highlighted by Dragon.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours of clinical exp do you have back here in the states? (pref. 150+)
Any shadowing exp? (pref. 2-3 physicians with at least 1 in FM... 20 hrs each)
Any consistent non-medical volunteering gig other than your 1 month tutoring English in another country?
Any consistent leadership/teaching exp?
Any special talents/music/sports to showcase?

Your GPA and MCAT look fine. I'm not sure how strong your ECs are without more details. I do think you should put your focus back here in the states and especially when you're applying this upcoming cycle.

Probably around 90-100 hours volunteering at the hospital (does that count as clinical exp if I got to talk to the patients while there?) Did another 6 months (once a week 3 hours) as a TA for a high school. No official shadowing done. In charge of a small study group while in college for 3 years, and plenty of special talents (but no awards). A lot of my volunteer work is fragmented due to family obligations though.

How are my chances for a mid-tier school then. Still abysmal?

you probably have a shot at davis, irvine, and possibly sd since its your home institution but I know alot of asians from cali with similar stats who ended up going to school on the east coast even though they wanted to stay :\ In my experience, shadowing doesn't really help, neither does volunteering(since every single person has this). What helps would be publications, presentations, awards, having an unique background, etc stuff that makes you stick out. This isn't to say your chances are horrible but sadly, I'd say the average asian applicant from cali has a 3.7 and 33.

Oh yeah there's loma linda too if you are a 7th day adventist you would have a great chance there.

Also, to add to Dragon, California med schools look deeply into lab research (or at least UCLA does for sure). I forgot where I saw it but someone had posted the main things Cali med schools focus on.( i.e. UCLA= Lab research, UCD= Rural medicine, etc.) Try to get a hold of that it seems pretty helpful.