Chances for a non traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimus-Prime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started college with no intention of medical school, and was a B and C student. I was an amateur mixed martial arts fighter on the side and never envisioned staying in academics. After my second fight I realized I was chasing after my deceased father's successes in wrestling. I got my ass in gear and hit the books hard. It took me five years to graduate but I salvaged my 2.75 gpa to a 3.25; thanks to 4 semesters of straight A's. I finished as a biology major and chemistry minor. I was a GA and taught an anatomy 2 lab course, I volunteered for 150 hours at a homeless shelter, and volunteered over 200 hours at a rural clinic as a medical assistant. Funny side note: I made a citizen's arrest when I got mugged my junior year on the way to campus.

I also completed a master's degree in Applied Biology that focused on vascular biology, did an additional thesis on the side. Now during my gap year I have an NIH research fellowship at the clinical center. On every other Saturday I am going to volunteer at the Charm City Clinic, and on Sundays I'll be at Johns Hopkins Clinical Center volunteering.

Just got my MCAT back with a 32 10/11/11. All secondaries verified as of 8/27/13.

I'm applying to

Maryland
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Tech
Jefferson
SUNY Downstate

Reach:
Mayo
Chicago
Cornell
NYU

I've always read these posts, I feel like I'm such a longshot. Nonetheless I will keep applying if need be. I'm looking for some constructive criticism/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I started college with no intention of medical school, and was a B and C student. I was an amateur mixed martial arts fighter on the side and never envisioned staying in academics. After my second fight I realized I was chasing after my deceased father's successes in wrestling. I got my ass in gear and hit the books hard. It took me five years to graduate but I salvaged my 2.75 gpa to a 3.25; thanks to 4 semesters of straight A's. I finished as a biology major and chemistry minor. I was a GA and taught an anatomy 2 lab course, I volunteered for 150 hours at a homeless shelter, and volunteered over 200 hours at a rural clinic as a medical assistant. Funny side note: I made a citizen's arrest when I got mugged my junior year on the way to campus.

I also completed a master's degree in Applied Biology that focused on vascular biology, did an additional thesis on the side. Now during my gap year I have an NIH research fellowship at the clinical center. On every other Saturday I am going to volunteer at the Charm City Clinic, and on Sundays I'll be at Johns Hopkins Clinical Center volunteering.

Just got my MCAT back with a 32 10/11/11. All secondaries verified as of 8/27/13.

I'm applying to

Maryland
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Tech
Jefferson
SUNY Downstate

Reach:
Mayo
Chicago
Cornell
NYU

I've always read these posts, I feel like I'm such a longshot. Nonetheless I will keep applying if need be. I'm looking for some constructive criticism/advice.

You have good chances, but you should probably apply to several more schools. Chicago, Cornell, and NYU are major reaches with your stats.

Where are you a resident? Maryland? If not add all your state schools. Either way, add some more OOS friendly places with median MCATs around yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm a Maryland resident, running a little low on funding. This fellowship is like cheap labor! I'll be able to do a couple more in the beginning of next month.

Think its worth hitting OOS public schools in my range, or stick to privates?? Virgina and North Carolina got some I was thinking about.

Yeah I'm a Maryland resident, running a little low on funding. This fellowship is like cheap labor! I'll be able to do a couple more in the beginning of next month.

Think its worth hitting OOS public schools in my range, or stick to privates?? Virgina and North Carolina got some I was thinking about.

Look closely at their OOS acceptance rates in the MSAR. It's a good rule of thumb that the OOS stats for public schools are above (sometimes substantially above) their in-state applicants. So given that cost is a factor, I would only apply to OOS public schools if they BOTH take many out of state applicants and you have a good MCAT for them. You will have better chances at private schools.

Consider UVm, they take a majority of OOSers and their median MCAT is around 31.

Damn! Vermont accepts a ton out of state, I didn't think publics accepted so many OOS students, thanks

Damn! Vermont accepts a ton out of state, I didn't think publics accepted so many OOS students, thanks

Yup! That's what happens when you put a medical school in a tiiiiny state. However they don't allow you to switch to in-state tuition, so it's the same price as most private schools, alas.

Hell I'll take it. What another $100,000, just a house payment without the house :laugh:

+
University of Vermont
University of Illinois
Creighton
Alpert