chances for a permanent resident pre-dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I am a Japanese and Ive just finised my degree in Japan.
Im gonna start to take prerequisites classes in states from this spring semester.
i will become a permanent resident at the latest the end of 2005.
has anybody like me or permanent residents been accepted by
dental schools in America?
It seems like a few of dschools accept US residents or non-US citizens
applicants but not all of them don't mention that on their admission
websites.
could you give me some ideas on this matter?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

kayo said:
Hi there!
Im gonna start to take prerequisites classes in states from this spring semester.
websites.
Thanks!
Most private dental school schools accpet non-US citizens. Marquette, Upenn, Harvard, case western, Upitt, UOP, BU, Columbia, Nova, and many others...

I don't know about all state schools, but a friend of mine who is a permanent resident was just accepted to University at Buffalo (also known as SUNY Buffalo), which is a state school. She hasn't applied for financial aid yet, so I don't know if her aid package will be affected by the fact that she is not a citizen.

So in the case of SUNY schools, being a permanent resident did not prevent her from getting into Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
kayo said:
...has anybody like me or permanent residents been accepted by
of course! why not??? you see, they also accept international students. not a problem at all. no worries... ;) as other people mentioned, you might wanna consider private schools as opposed to state ones.

and, you're considering getting loans, it's a different story for non-citizens. i don't know the details but heard it's hard to get 'em - esp. FAFSA.

toony said:
of course! why not??? you see, they also accept international students. not a problem at all. no worries... ;) as other people mentioned, you might wanna consider private schools as opposed to state ones.

and, you're considering getting loans, it's a different story for non-citizens. i don't know the details but heard it's hard to get 'em - esp. FAFSA.

You need a co-signer to get loans. He/she should be a U.S citizen. I hope this help.

i am a canadian born green card holder in the US going to a state dental school in texas - admissions, in state tuition, and FAFSA are identical to US citizens. BUT permanent resident is a very specific thing (ie Green card holder), if you are under any other immigration visa then you are international... then you need your own cash and probably a private school.

kayo said:
Thanks!

Don't worry about it. I am an international student and I am accepted to two schools so far. Like what other posts say, the key is to apply to the right schools. State schools like SUNY at baffalo and U of Maryland might be some of the schools you can consider too since I have received interview invitations from them. And being permanent residents, I guess your chance would be even better.

Cindy82 said:
Don't worry about it. I am an international student and I am accepted to two schools so far. Like what other posts say, the key is to apply to the right schools. State schools like SUNY at baffalo and U of Maryland might be some of the schools you can consider too since I have received interview invitations from them. And being permanent residents, I guess your chance would be even better.

I see...
Thank you for your advice on financials and right schools to apply for.
But do d-schools consider courses I took in Japan as a part of prerequisites?
Although I took lots of English courses(including literature, composition, phonics and stuff) I am now wondering if I should take English courses here in States. I would rather take chem or bio on upper devision than english...

kayo said:
websites.
Thanks!

Permanent residents and US citizens are treated equal at both state and private institutions, as far as the admission process is concerned. They both equally qualify for FAFSA, private loans and school-based scholarships (private scholarships tend to favor US citizens). If you are a permanent resident, you basically have the right to live in the US indefinetly... and go to school if you wish to do so, without being treated as a second class citizen. Since you will become a permanent resident (I am assuming you are immigrating to the US through some sort of sponsorship), I wouldnt worry about the non-US citizen issue... because you will no longer be a foreigner, your permanent resident status will take over that.

I hope that helps.

I'm a PR myself. As the previous poster mentioned you won't have any problem. PR's and US-citizens are treated equally as far as schooling is concerned. I went to a public university and received my BS. I'm applying to d-schools this year. You may be asked to provide a copy of your green card.
To answer your questions regarding the classes you took in Japan, you should have your transcript evaluated by one of these:
www.acei1.com www.ece.org www.wes.org www.ierf.org. Evaluations from these places are accepted to most d-schools in the US. You MUST do this as early as you can. The schools will ask you for this. My transcript was evaluated at my university, so I don't have personal experience with these websites. But I have heard that wes.org is well known to give you a better evaluation. Also, you may need to take Toefl for some schools. Good luck. And welcome to the US, a wonderful land full of oppotunites!

kayo said:
Hi there!
websites.
Thanks!

Hey Kayo
green card holder vs us citizen
they only difference it is that a green card holder does not get Social Security when you retire for everything else it is the same(same benefits).
but dont worry, i am pretty sure that by the time we retire there is not going to be social security.

aceking said:
Hey Kayo
green card holder vs us citizen
they only difference it is that a green card holder does not get Social Security when you retire for
Where/when did you hear that? Green card holders pay tax and ss as US citizens. I believe they will get the ss benefit just like US citizens. I get yearly report saying how much ss benefit I would get if I became diabled.

luder98 said:
Where/when did you hear that? Green card holders pay tax and ss as US citizens. I believe they will get the ss benefit just like US citizens. I get yearly report saying how much ss benefit I would get if I became diabled.

you are paying for it and it gets accumulated but you need to get your citzenship in able to pick it up later in your life

aceking said:
you are paying for it and it gets accumulated but you need to get your citzenship in able to pick it up later in your life
Thanks. I guess I have to apply for citizenship now! I never saw the true benefit except traveling and working for government owned companies.

aceking said:
I didn't know that either... hmmm!

luder98 said:
Thanks. I guess I have to apply for citizenship now! I never saw the true benefit except traveling and working for government owned companies.

they thing is that i do not think that there is going to be any social security benefit to us when we turn that age because i am pretty sure that it is not there. This country has too much debt.