Chances for admission - PhD Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but it appears to have a lot of great information.

I am planning on applying for PhD and or DrPH programs in epidemiology in the next year and wanted to get an opinion on what my chances of being accepted to the following schools might be.

First off, I have no medical training and am strictly trained in public health. I have a Bachelor's Degree in public health education and health promotion from Central Michigan University and a Master's Degree in epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (but the University of London External Programme version). I scored a 3.18 in my undergraduate and a straight B in my masters (GPA is a little funky due to their scale). I also received two non passing grades in my master's program due to illness that I later made up with passing grades.

I took the GRE 6-7 years ago and received a 400 verbal, 670 quantitative and 4.0 analytical writing. I am planning to retake this and believe I can increase my score to 500 V, 750 Q, and 4.5 AW as I didn't prepare at all for it the first time.

I have been working in the field of public health emergency preparedness for the past six years in a variety of settings. I'm currently a regional coordinator of local public health departments for a major metropolitan area. However the reason I want to pursue the PhD is to transition out of this field, so I'm not sure how much my work experience helps me.

The schools I'm looking at applying to include:
· SUNY Buffalo
· SUNY Albany
· Ohio State University
· University of Wisconsin-Madison
· University of Louisville
· University of Cincinnati

I've left off schools like Michigan and Pittsburg because I don't think I have a shot at being accepted. I'm also looking at schools that are within 6-8 hours of Michigan as that is where my family lives.
I appreciate any opinions and suggestions you all may have.

Members don't see this ad.

PhD admissions are unpredictable because the most important parts of your application aren't in the hard numbers like your GPA, GRE scores, and that ilk. The most important aspect is that the school you're applying to sees your research interest as one that is suitable for the resources (ie. faculty) at that university.

Be sure to spend plenty of time honing that statement of purpose and what you plan on researching. That is the most important criteria for your application. That is followed by your recommendations and then writing samples. Also, do well in your interviews and let them know you understand what epidemiology is. Too many people apply without clear goals, and that will lead to an automatic rejection.

However, GPA and GRE scores are an important first screening tool. If your scores are low enough, they won't consider your application, even if you have other fantastic parts of your application. So raising your GRE scores is a definite must, especially your quantitative score.

For reference, here's my hard line:
-Undergrad: 3.0 GPA (Biology + Environmental Science)
-Grad (MPH): 3.6 GPA (Epidemiology + Environmental Health)
-GRE: 730Q/520V/5.0AW
-4 years research experience (3 years full-time as Epi RA on two studies)

I don't know as much about DrPH admissions, but based on your work experience, you'd make a more competitive applicant there.

Thanks for the reply Stories.

Do you or anyone else know what the difference between a PhD and DrPH is? I know the difference in definition and what their aims are, but not in how previous work/academics play into being accepted. Most of my public health experience has been gained in the workplace rather than academia, and I don't really plan to work in academia in the future.

Another question I have is how can I improve my application in regards to my GPA? Would taking some continuing education classes (maybe from the Summer Sessions in Public Health) help?

Again, I appreciate everyone’s' comments.

Thanks for the reply Stories.

Do you or anyone else know what the difference between a PhD and DrPH is? I know the difference in definition and what their aims are, but not in how previous work/academics play into being accepted. Most of my public health experience has been gained in the workplace rather than academia, and I don't really plan to work in academia in the future.

Another question I have is how can I improve my application in regards to my GPA? Would taking some continuing education classes (maybe from the Summer Sessions in Public Health) help?

Again, I appreciate everyone’s' comments.

The dissertation requirements are different between the two. DrPH usually has an integrated, problem-solving type of dissertation. PhD has a three published/publishable papers as the dissertation requirement.

DrPH coursework is similar to MPH: wide ranging and variety. PhD coursework is narrow and focused on your subject matter.

DrPH folks usually do not enter academia. It can happen, but it's not the goal of the training. PhDs are trained to enter academia if that's their desire along with extensive teaching responsibility.

As for continuing education courses, unless you're missing a prerequisite class, they won't matter much on your application. Just focus your application materials on your strengths, just like you would when applying to a job.