chances for an average bloke like me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediocreMonster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st and 2nd year grades are mostly "Pass" (I was working full time and grades suffered).
3rd year clinicals so far are random - Pass, High Pass, Honors - all over the map.
Step 1 was 205, but could have (should have) been a 215 if not for some f0cked-up circumstances in my life at the time. Having a strong year studying for shelf exams and Step 2 should (hopefully!) be much improved. did 3 weeks of clincial anesthesiology this year and got good reviews from a couple of attendings, etc.
published (2nd author on a few) 6 papers previous to med school, in well-respected journals, tangentially related to pain medicine (stretching things here - mostly mehtadone and heroin related sudies with HIV implications)

that said, am i off my rocker thinking of top tier schools for gas? some of my preferred choices are actually "second tier" according to posts here, and i don't feel tied to any location. but am i completely shut out of somewhere like Cornell already? and if i rock Step 2 (like a hurricane?)

Members don't see this ad.

MediocreMonster said:
that said, am i off my rocker thinking of top tier schools for gas? some of my preferred choices are actually "second tier" according to posts here, and i don't feel tied to any location. but am i completely shut out of somewhere like Cornell already? and if i rock Step 2 (like a hurricane?)

I don't understand how or why you were working full time during M1 and M2 years, but if you rock Step 2 you might get some top tier interviews, although Step 2 does not carry the same weight as Step 1. Grades don't seem to matter too much except for where it places you in your class (e.g. Dean's letter). Regardless, though, you should try for programs you think might be out of reach since getting interviews still has a random aspect to it.

impetigo said:
I don't understand how or why you were working full time during M1 and M2 years....

how = flexible schedule at work, flexible schedule at school (i.e. didn't show up in the afternoons), hard work, mild insanity, coffee, no social life.

why = i liked the work. it was with a major pharmaceutical company designing and monitoring clinical trials for a new antianxiety wonderpill. it paid rent, gave me a perspective from the evil pharm company side, and something to talk about with the cute sales reps.