Chances for any MD/PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mettawp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've got a question as to chances here. I want to get accepted to an MD/PhD program (any in fact). I've been doing research under professors in my department of chemistry at my University, doctors at the medical school, etc etc., since my Freshman year at the University. Pretty early to start... So I have 3 years so far, and of course my senior year I still will be researching. I've been a part of my Student Senate, been part of AMSA, GlobeMed, and Circle K ( a volunteer organization ) also for these past 3, nearly 4 years. I also have over 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital.

I have a 35 MCAT, and a 3.7 Overall, 3.5 BCPM. The catch is, I have all A's and A-'s in my BCPM's except two F's that I got first semester, freshman year, in basic math and biology. Since then, aced every damn thing with an A- or A. Orgo, Orgo II, analytical, biochem, you name it.

I think those two F's, at the start of my University career will ultimately derail me.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are fine. Nobody will blink at your freshman year F's. I have the same numbers and 4 W's and got 4 mstp interviews (2 acceptances so far). If you're not worried about funding, it's often easier to get in MD only and add the phd later. A friend had a 3.5 science gpa and a 39 mcat and got 2 mstp offers. What matters is your research - do you have pubs/abstracts/fellowship awards?

Yup I've got 4 publications.. Not worried about costs, just getting in... I've worked on grant proposals before, but I have no fellowship awards... 2 abstracts... I don't have a 39 MCAT though... Only a 35. I mean, I guess I'm just worried Adcoms who see any F will just automatically be like screw him and throw it out without looking at anything else.