Chances for CA or AZ Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 10 of my class at a low titer MD school.
1 research and 1 project
247 step 1

Can anyone tell me what is my chance for CA, AZ mayo or tucson?

Where do I find step one average for residency program? I am thinking of AZ mayo, which is closest to home, but I can not find much information about it and whether I am competitive enough for the program. If anyone interview there, let me know what you think please.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1 research and 1 project
247 step 1

Where do I find step one average for residency program? I am thinking of AZ mayo, which is closest to home, but I can not find much information about it and whether I am competitive enough for the program. If anyone interview there, let me know what you think please.

Thank you

We talking like 1:100,000?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1 research and 1 project
247 step 1

Thank you

Mayo AZ I think values an away rotation there. They only have 3 spots last time I checked so they clearly want to get to know you. So do what you can to get an away. I did one a few years ago and if I didn't have any other reason not to stay in AZ, I would have gone there. As for "any" CA program, you can definitely get into any of them. You are competitive for any residency in the country really. Don't sweat it. Good luck.

If you have letters to match your top 10 class rank, you’re competitive for any specialty and all anesthesia programs.

1 research and 1 project
247 step 1

Thank you

Arizona Mayo is not Mayo-Rochester by a long shot. You will be very competitive. I won't even comment on Tucson. May I suggest Stanford or UCSD instead of those others? If it is warm weather and a great climate you desire then San Diego is pretty close to perfection.

The only issue with Mayo as mentioned above is that there are only four spots which turns it more into a numbers game, particularly if they start taking in house med students in a couple of years after they ramp up the school. I don't know what their trauma experiences are like as I don't think it's a level I center and for peds they have to go out of house to PCH.

If your top 10 class position translates to AoA then I agree with Blade in that Stanford would be great (I was told they didn't interview anyone without AoA).

Still kicking myself for not ranking UCSD higher- they almost had me sold at "sometimes we do anesthesia on gorillas".