• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Chances for convicted molester/rapist?

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just curious here guys: What's the deal with all the past criminal record folks coming out of the woods to get opinions regarding their medical school candidacy? And why this time of year? Over the last week I've seen at least 6 of these guys sprout up, always claiming a buddy of theirs is curious if they've got a chance. Just a coincidence?

About the Ads

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There actually are people out there with fairly minor and/or stupid misdemeanor convictions who have a shot at med school and want to know how much it will hurt them. If you noticed on the last thread, a popular answer to the DUI guy was "get your rich parents to get you an expensive lawyer." The people who get in trouble when they're young and aren't quite lucky enough to be able to afford a $400/hr attorney are usually the ones who end up with the conviction.

Actually, I would agree with the people who say that someone who is convicted of a felony or even a DUI has no business going into med school (sorry, but I've got no tolerance for someone who gets behind the wheel drunk). I think the licensing boards probably agree, too. I know you can't get an ambulance driver license if you've had a DUI in the past 7 years (or ever with a felony), so I'd imagine MD licensing is at least as strict. But there is a small minority of folks who messed up when they were younger and actually managed to learn a lesson from it and get their act together and I think they have legitimate concerns.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
an ambulance driver license if you've had a DUI in the past 7 years

*cough* Unless your state has a special driver's license for emergency vehicles, you need to remember it's called an EMT license (or certification depending on the state), not an "ambulance driver" license. Thank you. :D

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
with the "I am a criminal, do you think that I can get into medical school posts." Or "I am a drug addict, why can't I prescribe drugs to my friends who really have pain issues?" Go away!

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
*cough* Unless your state has a special driver's license for emergency vehicles, you need to remember it's called an EMT license (or certification depending on the state), not an "ambulance driver" license. Thank you. :D

Hahaha! Man, it did sound like I was calling EMTs and medics by the a-word, didn't it? Yes, my state has an ambulance driver license that is seperate from an EMT cert or a paramedic license. As a medic myself that is one my biggest annoyances, the old, "so, how do you like being an ambulance driver?" Especially because after my county went to an EMT/medic (1-and-1) system, I drove the damn thing as little as possible since I was stuck in the back for most of the calls.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hahaha! Man, it did sound like I was calling EMTs and medics by the a-word, didn't it? Yes, my state has an ambulance driver license that is seperate from an EMT cert or a paramedic license. As a medic myself that is one my biggest annoyances, the old, "so, how do you like being an ambulance driver?" Especially because after my county went to an EMT/medic (1-and-1) system, I drove the damn thing as little as possible since I was stuck in the back for most of the calls.
No ****? I didn't realize any state actually required that anymore. :laugh:

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No ****? I didn't realize any state actually required that anymore. :laugh:

That's Cali for you. Here's what I needed to be able to work:

Medic license
Ambulance driver license
Medical examiner's card
County accreditation
ACLS
BLS
PALS or PEPP
PHTLS or BTLS

Each is a separate cert with a different renewal date, of course! I hope it's a little easier in other places. Oh, and let's not forget the yearly TB test...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.