Chances for convicted molester/rapist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Just curious here guys: What's the deal with all the past criminal record folks coming out of the woods to get opinions regarding their medical school candidacy? And why this time of year? Over the last week I've seen at least 6 of these guys sprout up, always claiming a buddy of theirs is curious if they've got a chance. Just a coincidence?

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many people wanted to ask but were hesitant, then one guy asked and the chain started. Yeah I thought it was kind off odd too lol.

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol. I was thinking the same exact thing today, haha.

foofish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or it's that time of year for convicts to contemplate LORs, MCAT, AMCAS, and parole...

For your entertainment, the good ol' I killed a dude with my bare hands thread from August when the last crew of criminals passed through... :laugh:

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they just want to help their "friend" out and get some advice.

I guess their "friend" isn't concerned enough to ask for themself

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this "friend" that is sick of seeing redundant "DUI/what are my chances threads".

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There actually are people out there with fairly minor and/or stupid misdemeanor convictions who have a shot at med school and want to know how much it will hurt them. If you noticed on the last thread, a popular answer to the DUI guy was "get your rich parents to get you an expensive lawyer." The people who get in trouble when they're young and aren't quite lucky enough to be able to afford a $400/hr attorney are usually the ones who end up with the conviction.

Actually, I would agree with the people who say that someone who is convicted of a felony or even a DUI has no business going into med school (sorry, but I've got no tolerance for someone who gets behind the wheel drunk). I think the licensing boards probably agree, too. I know you can't get an ambulance driver license if you've had a DUI in the past 7 years (or ever with a felony), so I'd imagine MD licensing is at least as strict. But there is a small minority of folks who messed up when they were younger and actually managed to learn a lesson from it and get their act together and I think they have legitimate concerns.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
an ambulance driver license if you've had a DUI in the past 7 years

*cough* Unless your state has a special driver's license for emergency vehicles, you need to remember it's called an EMT license (or certification depending on the state), not an "ambulance driver" license. Thank you. :D

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
with the "I am a criminal, do you think that I can get into medical school posts." Or "I am a drug addict, why can't I prescribe drugs to my friends who really have pain issues?" Go away!

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*cough* Unless your state has a special driver's license for emergency vehicles, you need to remember it's called an EMT license (or certification depending on the state), not an "ambulance driver" license. Thank you. :D

Hahaha! Man, it did sound like I was calling EMTs and medics by the a-word, didn't it? Yes, my state has an ambulance driver license that is seperate from an EMT cert or a paramedic license. As a medic myself that is one my biggest annoyances, the old, "so, how do you like being an ambulance driver?" Especially because after my county went to an EMT/medic (1-and-1) system, I drove the damn thing as little as possible since I was stuck in the back for most of the calls.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hahaha! Man, it did sound like I was calling EMTs and medics by the a-word, didn't it? Yes, my state has an ambulance driver license that is seperate from an EMT cert or a paramedic license. As a medic myself that is one my biggest annoyances, the old, "so, how do you like being an ambulance driver?" Especially because after my county went to an EMT/medic (1-and-1) system, I drove the damn thing as little as possible since I was stuck in the back for most of the calls.
No ****? I didn't realize any state actually required that anymore. :laugh:

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious felony = flipping burgers & NO chance at MD school.

Thanks..

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No ****? I didn't realize any state actually required that anymore. :laugh:

That's Cali for you. Here's what I needed to be able to work:

Medic license
Ambulance driver license
Medical examiner's card
County accreditation
ACLS
BLS
PALS or PEPP
PHTLS or BTLS

Each is a separate cert with a different renewal date, of course! I hope it's a little easier in other places. Oh, and let's not forget the yearly TB test...

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...interesting, in VA we've got to have EVOC (emergency vehicle opperation cert.) to drive the meat truck.

Rumplestilskin

To B Rare is An Advantage
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
...interesting, in VA we've got to have EVOC (emergency vehicle opperation cert.) to drive the meat truck.

ditto in alabama.my 2 licenses r separate..