Chances for Dental School coming from a Cal State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If you do really good in CSU it will be the same in their eyes as UCs. This is from my experience, but I think it is pretty true. and when you apply to dental schools they care mostly about the 4year colleges and your last 2 years of your studies, so I don't think your bad records from JC can impact your application much., but again you have to do really good in your CSU and maintain it, don't become disappointed and try as hard as you can, best of luck to you.
 
keep in mind that despite the trends and better grades recently, the big GPA NUMBERS that sit at the top of your application include JC grades. As mentioned in other threads, some schools won't look at your application if the overall or Total science GPA is below a certain figure
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll let you know is a few weeks... 😉

If I get a spot surely you will have no problem...
 
I'll let you know is a few weeks... 😉

If I get a spot surely you will have no problem...

whats up man, if you dont mind could you give me some more info like your dat scores, gpa, and what schools gave you an interview? thanks man
 
I have a 3.18 JC GPA, .... So I was wondering harjay, you are saying that the GPA will include both JC and CSU work, do you know this because you had to calculate your JC and University GPA's for the application?
I would say your grades aren't a problem then. I didn't go to a JC, but I was just concerned that having poor JC grades could pull down you overall GPA. Don't worry about it
 
I would say your grades aren't a problem then. I didn't go to a JC, but I was just concerned that having poor JC grades could pull down you overall GPA. Don't worry about it

thanks for the reply harjay, but I think my GPA will effect me a lot, because the way AADSAS calculates their GPA is different than the way JC does, they use both grades from repeated classes so that will hurt me a lot.
 
thanks for the reply harjay, but I think my GPA will effect me a lot, because the way AADSAS calculates their GPA is different than the way JC does, they use both grades from repeated classes so that will hurt me a lot.

I don't think going to a CSU is a disadvantage in any way. I got my bachelor's from a university not many people know about and did my science courses at CSUN and I got interviews without a problem. I think the main thing adcoms look at is GPA and DAT and extracurricular. At UCLA we do have more people from UC's but we also do have a fair amount of people from CSU's. Personally, I think going to a CSU helped me get to where I'm at since I had some great LOR's from having close interaction with my professors as well as good research opportunities from being at a school that isn't as big as the UC's. If you focus on the DAT and keep your GPA as high as you can, I don't think it matters where you went. Just my 2 cents
 
my friend's at another CSU and she says her upperclassmen had no problem getting into grad schools they want to (med/dent/pharm/phd/etc)...
i think the stats are because there's probably just more applicants applying from the other UCs and private institutions.. cause i'd be more scared about the 39% for private inst stat cause there's a LOT of private institutions out there with a lot of its class applying for grad schools...
 
whats up man, if you dont mind could you give me some more info like your dat scores, gpa, and what schools gave you an interview? thanks man

Undergrad - 2.8 B.S. in computer science
overall - 3.1
sci - 3.7 (majority of science classes from CC)

DAT 20/21/21

interviewed: UofL, LLU, NYU, Indiana, USC, and UDM (next week)

A lot of ECs and dental experience. There is hope. I never thought I'd be where I am right now.

Good luck and apply Early!!!