Chances for DO/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

losangeleno1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.93 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA 510 MCAT (128 Chem ,126 CARS, 126 BIO, 130 Psych)

2500 hours of working as a research assistant
200 hours internist volunteering
100 hours scribing
1 year research- almost ready to submit my writing for publication

Any chance?

Which program would you recommend I apply to?

Also I just realized I posted this is the Allopathic forum....my apologies. Not sure how to transfer it over to the osteopathic one though lol I'm new to this

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I ask why you're considering DO/PhD instead of MD/PhD?

May I ask why you're considering DO/PhD instead of MD/PhD?
MD/PhD was my goal until I got my MCAT score back....510 wont cut it for many MDs, let alone MD/PhDs
And I have no desire to retake, I gave it my best shot last time

Members don't see this ad :)
MD/PhD was my goal until I got my MCAT score back....510 wont cut it for many MDs, let alone MD/PhDs
And I have no desire to retake, I gave it my best shot last time
I would ask this question in the physician scientist forum.

I'll anticipate some of their advice though:

1) DO/PhD programs do not have guaranteed funding and training support like all MSTPs and the best MD/PhD programs. Paying for both degrees is a bad idea. Personally, I think any dual degree program that has you pay for either degree is a bad, bad idea.

2) If you are serious about MD/PhD you can study and retake. You have a 3.9, why do you think a 510 is your best effort?

3) The point of the PhD is to receive training. There are many ways to get that training and several of those avenues do not involve getting a PhD. In terms of being competitive for those opportunities in and after medical school, the MD is just flat out superior to DO. There are DO physician scientists. I think the chief of Harvard PM&R medicine and research is a DO, or was some time ago. BUT, the fact is that to be successful in science you have to be as competitive as possible at every single step and you will be better positioned to access opportunities and mentorship as an MD.

4) If you get into an MD school and still think the dual degree path is for you, then go ahead and apply to transfer into that school's MD/PhD program. There are no guarantees as far as getting in this way is concerned but you at least have a foot in the door.

Tagging @eteshoe since he is a current MD/PhD student.

Reactions: 1 users
A good deal of MD schools allow students to join a PhD program after starting school.

Looking at the DO/PhD programs, I think a decent MD only program will provide you access to more high quality research than doing the DO/PhD. Except perhaps MSU

If I were you, I would apply MD/PhD and MD. See how it goes. And I would take an MD over a DO/PhD

Reactions: 1 user
Hey OP, @Lucca covered a lot of the points that the physician scientist forum would have brought up. Synergistically speaking, as far as the dual degree pathway, the MD/PhD makes a lot more sense. The biggest things that I see that may cause you some issues with MD/PhD programs are:
- the low MCAT score (not impossible to overcome w/ that score but it would be in your best interest to retake and aim for a 515+)
- the lack of sustained research experience (1 yr is typically not gonna be enough to convince the adcom that you're ready for a PhD - though the publication would be a plus)

Also you have to really consider what type of career you'd like to have with the dual degrees. You'll have to really consider if a PhD is necessary and if it is, the type of PhD that you'd like to obtain. This will help you develop a working list of MD/PhD programs to which you can apply. As others have stated, a straight MD would be your next best choice if you don't get into an MD/PhD program.

Last edited:
I would honestly go MD (yes, including low-tier MD) over DO/PhD and try to focus on medical school research + grantwriting + productivity and establish your research career from there. DO/PhD doesn't seem to be worth it at all.