Chances for DO Please! - 3.13 cGPA/sGPA and 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member93872

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances at all DO schools?

Specifically, I am looking at MSU-COM, PCOM, and VCOM (I am a Virginia resident).

- Traditional applicant (although one year younger than the rest of my class)

-sGPA - 3.13
cGPA - 3.13
both with upward trend in last two years (about 3.5)

-MCAT - 2 attempts - 29 both times (rushed on second attempt) - 9V 9P 11B and 8V 10P and 11B

-If taking the best of both scores then 9V 10P 11B which is a 30

-Biomedical Engineering major with Chemistry and Business minors

-Good volunteering experience (>600 hours at hospitals and clinics over 4 years of UG)

-Currently shadowing 4 DOs - will be getting recommendations (hopefully really good) from all 4 of them before applying in June - will have about 100 hours by the time I apply

-Also have >200 hours of shadowing experience with MDs

-Currently working on personal statement

Any and all advice is appreciated :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Specifically, I am looking at MSU-COM, PCOM, and VCOM (I am a Virginia resident).

-sGPA - 3.13
cGPA - 3.13

-MCAT - 2 attempts - 29 both times (rushed on second attempt) - 9V 9P 11B and 8V 10P and 11B

-Good volunteering experience (>600 hours at hospitals and clinics over 4 years of UG)

-Currently shadowing 4 DOs - will be getting recommendations (hopefully really good) from all 4 of them before applying in June - will have about 100 hours by the time I apply

I'd say you're good to go especially with an upward trend over two years approximating the avg. GPA of the entering class at MSU COM. Just beware, the OOS tuition there is like 3x IS so you might want to think about that...but it is a top DO program!

I'd say you're good to go especially with an upward trend over two years approximating the avg. GPA of the entering class at MSU COM. Just beware, the OOS tuition there is like 3x IS so you might want to think about that...but it is a top DO program!
Thanks for the encouraging words! Also, will DO schools look at the composite MCAT or will they look at my 29?

I plan on applying the first day that the application opens so hopefully either way things will work out. And you are right, MSU COM is a really good DO program. I hope to enter surgery for residency (don't know yet if it will be cardiothoracic, neuro or orthopedic) but I figured going to MSU COM or PCOM will help with matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings. I applied this cycle with a 3.4 cgpa, 3.15 sgpa, and 29 mcat. I had a successful cycle, but never heard a peep out of PCOM. I don't know if you are all that competitive at MSU either, as they are state school. VCOM should be interested. W

With statistics like ours you need to apply broadly to be sure you have the best chance, but you could end up having an excellent cycle.

I applied to 10 schools.
Returned secondaries to 8 (decided against Touro-NV and VCOM put me on pre-secondary hold).
Got 3 interview invites (KCUMB, OSUCOM, and my state DO school, in that order). Attended two (KCUMB, then OSUCOM)
Accepted to both (OSUCOM off the waitlist).
Will matriculate at OSU.

So I got into both of my top two choices and got an interview at my #3 choice, but the smattering of silence from PCOM, pre-interview holds from AZCOM and DMU, no interview invites from KCOM or SOMA, and even that pre-secondary hold from VCOM indicate that my application was competitive in the eyes of the beholder.

tl;dr: Apply broadly and keep your fingers crossed.

I'd say you're fine for most DO programs. Apply broadly and you'll be OK.

-sGPA - 3.13
cGPA - 3.13

Greetings. I applied this cycle with a 3.4 cgpa, 3.15 sgpa, and 29 mcat. I had a successful cycle, but never heard a peep out of PCOM. I don't know if you are all that competitive at MSU either, as they are state school. VCOM should be interested. W

With statistics like ours you need to apply broadly to be sure you have the best chance, but you could end up having an excellent cycle.

I applied to 10 schools.
Returned secondaries to 8 (decided against Touro-NV and VCOM put me on pre-secondary hold).
Got 3 interview invites (KCUMB, OSUCOM, and my state DO school, in that order). Attended two (KCUMB, then OSUCOM)
Accepted to both (OSUCOM off the waitlist).
Will matriculate at OSU.

So I got into both of my top two choices and got an interview at my #3 choice, but the smattering of silence from PCOM, pre-interview holds from AZCOM and DMU, no interview invites from KCOM or SOMA, and even that pre-secondary hold from VCOM indicate that my application was competitive in the eyes of the beholder.

tl;dr: Apply broadly and keep your fingers crossed.
Congrats on OSU! If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted at your state school? Just to gauge the IS bias

Also, since our stats are pretty close, when did you apply? Earlier or later in the cycle?

And what did your general timeline look like for the initial application, secondaries, interviews and final acceptances?