Chances for DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camidude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what are my chances to getting to DO school?

Bachelors in Sports and Ex. Science
Cum GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.65
MCAT: 497 (I have text anxiety)
Nationality: Colombian (am I a URM?)

Extracurriculars:
Science Tutor ( 500+ hours)
Hospital Volunteer (100 hrs)
Non-Profit Clinic (translator for 50 hours) - I speak spanish fluently
Medical Assistant Internship (240 hours)
Volunteer at a non-profit resort for kids with life threatening conditions: 80 hours (GKTW)

Shadowing: 70 hours with an M.D.

Medical Assistant at a Psychiatric Office: Just started; so far I have 100 hours

Certification:
CRLA(tutoring certificate)
Registered Phlebotomy Technician
Registered Medical Assistant

What are my chances of getting into a DO school? What schools should I apply too.

Need help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally you should retake the MCAT later this year when your practice scores are greater than 500 and then apply in June 2017. You have a chance at some of the newer schools and schools with lower MCAT medians such as:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM (new school)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
Incarnate Word (new school-Texas)
There will be over 650 new 1st year positions at the 5 new schools in 2017 that did not exist in 2015 so those are where your chances are better.

Ideally you should retake the MCAT later this year when your practice scores are greater than 500 and then apply in June 2017. You have a chance at some of the newer schools and schools with lower MCAT medians such as:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM (new school)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
Incarnate Word (new school-Texas)
There will be over 650 new 1st year positions at the 5 new schools in 2017 that did not exist in 2015 so those are where your chances are better.

Do you think I have chances of getting into the DO schools in Florida with this mcat score? If not, should I retake in July 2016? I am pretty sure with all the studying I have done, I could boost up my mcat score to above a 500. My lowest section was the behavioral sciences (121). I really want to apply for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no chance at the Florida DO schools with your current MCAT. You should only retake the MCAT after sufficient studying and practice test scores consistently over 502 if you are interested in the Florida schools.

Just saying Hi because you are Colombian. Me too :) Good luck to you on your apps