ElJamo17

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I earned a 3.0 GPA from my undergraduate college. It is a "Public Ivy" with a lot of grade deflation.

I had some personal issues during my time as an undergraduate that I did not deal with well. As a result, my GPA is low.

I did take the MCAT, and I scored around a 510 total. I did a lot of shadowing and even some research as an undergraduate.

After completing my undergraduate degree, I moved to the midwest to work in a medical lab. After about a year of this dead-end job, I figured that if I was not going to be competitive for med school, I'd at least go back to school to retake some classes and complete some pre-reqs for PA school/ Pathology Assistant programs. I'd like to work in medicine in some form or another. I enrolled at a large, public, midwestern University near my new home as a continuing student. I have a 3.914 GPA from this institution. I've taken classes like genetics, Microbiology, medical terminology, and Anatomy and Physiology I and II. I am retaking Biochemistry and Molecular Biology this semester (I earned a C- in both as an undergrad). In addition, I am Taking an Immunology class.

I expect to have A's in all the classes I've enrolled in. That will boost my undergraduate combined GPA to around a 3.25. I will have taken 33 credits as a "continuing student."

My question is if I stand any success in applying to a DO program. This is my goal. If I am able to bring my MCAT score up to the 70 percentile (which I believe I can do), do I have a shot?

I know my undergraduate GPA is low, but I'd like to argue that this was due to circumstances that were difficult and now in the past. I'd like to be able to argue that my recent academic performance and a high MCAT score make me a good applicant. Am I correct?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You do not need to retake the MCAT since 510 is at or above the median for all DO schools. If you increase your GPA to 3.25 you could receive interviews at these DO schools so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LECOM (both schools)
Where is your state of residence? You may have a chance at your state public schools depending on your residence.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Please for the sake of my sanity do not retake your MCAT. A 510 is far above the DO mean. If you do well in those classes you are currently taking and pull the GPA up to 3.25 I would apply broadly and you will do just fine. A 3.25/3.25/510 will get your app looked at by most DO schools in the country, yes even the established ones. Now which specific ones will give you a shot is trickier to determine hence the broad application.

About the Ads
OP
ElJamo17

ElJamo17

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You do not need to retake the MCAT since 510 is at or above the median for all DO schools. If you increase your GPA to 3.25 you could receive interviews at these DO schools so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LECOM (both schools)
Where is your state of residence? You may have a chance at your state public schools depending on your residence.
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LECOM (both schools)

---

Thanks, FAHA.

I live in Nebraska

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
---

Thanks, FAHA.

I live in Nebraska
If you get both GPAs to 3.2 or higher it would be worth the fees to apply to your state MD schools as well.

About the Ads