Mar 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi-

I am a student in New Jersey.
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 504 127/124/126/127

Biomedical Engineering major (worst decision to tag this with pre-med). Leadership and volunteer experience in clinical and engineering settings. I am graduating this semester and applying to masters in biomedical science programs that are affiliated with med schools for the Spring semester. I dont know if I have time to take the GRE. Will my credentials be enough to get in? Is it a good idea to strengthen my application through this one year graduate program?

I would appreciate any and all advice!

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Probably doing a Post-bacc would be better, that way you actually improve your undergrad GPA. If you do a Masters that does nothing for your undegrad GPA and that is more important. You should also look to retake the MCAT if you have time.

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I was a biomedical engineering major as well and had my GPA drop by like .25 points after switching majors from Biology. Had issues with my MCAT but did relatively well on my GRE (I think it was 323) even though I studied for only like a day or two. Try the GRE, it is honestly nothing like the MCAT and is way easier, especially if the thing you struggle with is reading on the MCAT. Most people here would tell you to go with a Post-bacc to improve your GPA. I hate that advice because why would you go through something you don't like for 1 or 2 years. While my GPA did drop substantially, I learned so much in BMEN which I think will apply to being a physician. If you enjoyed it too, do it again. Bottom line, sign up for the GRE to take it ASAP and apply to programs you will enjoy. Med schools like personality too. If that happens to be one that will raise your GPA then great.

About the Ads

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2017
Status
it depends on what type of schools you are aiming for. If you are looking to get into DO schools then yes Masters GPA will help you out there. If you want MD you need a higher GPA or you need to be amazing in every other category. Your undergrad GPA as of now is near the 10th percentile for many schools. Your numbers (GPA + MCAT) is what will get you to interviews your personality and everything else is what will get you the acceptance. If you are really dead set on Masters then it should be a Special Masters Program. And the reason you do something you don't like for 1-2 years is for a greater reward later on. There are plenty of things that as a physician you are going to do that you don't want to do but hey you still have to. Why? because the reward is worth it in the end.

OP
M

mish12

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I was a biomedical engineering major as well and had my GPA drop by like .25 points after switching majors from Biology. Had issues with my MCAT but did relatively well on my GRE (I think it was 323) even though I studied for only like a day or two. Try the GRE, it is honestly nothing like the MCAT and is way easier, especially if the thing you struggle with is reading on the MCAT. Most people here would tell you to go with a Post-bacc to improve your GPA. I hate that advice because why would you go through something you don't like for 1 or 2 years. While my GPA did drop substantially, I learned so much in BMEN which I think will apply to being a physician. If you enjoyed it too, do it again. Bottom line, sign up for the GRE to take it ASAP and apply to programs you will enjoy. Med schools like personality too. If that happens to be one that will raise your GPA then great.
Hi thank you so much! out of curiousity, what program did you do exactly after undergrad? not sure what BMEN is

OP
M

mish12

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
it depends on what type of schools you are aiming for. If you are looking to get into DO schools then yes Masters GPA will help you out there. If you want MD you need a higher GPA or you need to be amazing in every other category. Your undergrad GPA as of now is near the 10th percentile for many schools. Your numbers (GPA + MCAT) is what will get you to interviews your personality and everything else is what will get you the acceptance. If you are really dead set on Masters then it should be a Special Masters Program. And the reason you do something you don't like for 1-2 years is for a greater reward later on. There are plenty of things that as a physician you are going to do that you don't want to do but hey you still have to. Why? because the reward is worth it in the end.
Hi thank you! but wouldnt med schools care that you are doing well in higher level science classes with a one year masters program affiliated with medschools? one dean told me that post bacc isnt that exciting for med schools because youre essentially just taking the course a second time and so the A isnt as exciting

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2017
Status
Hi thank you! but wouldnt med schools care that you are doing well in higher level science classes with a one year masters program affiliated with medschools? one dean told me that post bacc isnt that exciting for med schools because youre essentially just taking the course a second time and so the A isnt as exciting
From what I have been told most medical schools see graduate school grades as inflated. But it might be better to get the advice of @Goro and @Faha

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's getting to the point where medical schools are starting to see this as just a move to raise GPA. If you like the subject, you will want to learn it and if you cant, what makes you think you will succeed at learning medicine? Yes, raising GPA is important, but you are at that point where .1 or .2 points will be enough to get some interviews (assuming you retake the MCAT), so you don't need a drastic increase. You can do a two-year program with a low course load and get a good GPA doing something you like and can talk about more than just "ohh yah that". If you really really just want to be a physician, do the DO route. You will most likely get in somewhere as you are now. I just don't understand some peoples reasoning to just haunt for GPA for two years.

Hi thank you so much! out of curiousity, what program did you do exactly after undergrad? not sure what BMEN is
Biomedical Engineering (BMEN) Bachelors and Bioengineering Masters; basically BMEN.

Last edited:

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hi-

I am a student in New Jersey.
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 504 127/124/126/127

Biomedical Engineering major (worst decision to tag this with pre-med). Leadership and volunteer experience in clinical and engineering settings. I am graduating this semester and applying to masters in biomedical science programs that are affiliated with med schools for the Spring semester. I dont know if I have time to take the GRE. Will my credentials be enough to get in? Is it a good idea to strengthen my application through this one year graduate program?

I would appreciate any and all advice!
Your stats are fine right now for DO schools, if you apply broadly.

If you're boning for the MD, then go for the SMP. Your stats are fine for them.

Reactions: gyngyn

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Your current stats are fine for many DO schools. If you are willing to go to a DO schools then apply broadly to at least 12 schools and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
M

mish12

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Your stats are fine right now for DO schools, if you apply broadly.

If you're boning for the MD, then go for the SMP. Your stats are fine for them.
thank you! whats the difference between SMP and one of those one year masters of biomedical sciences programs?

i am trying to go for the MD /:

OP
M

mish12

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Your current stats are fine for many DO schools. If you are willing to go to a DO schools then apply broadly to at least 12 schools and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?
thank you! state of residence is NJ. aiming for MD but im trying to figure out if I can apply to the masters of biomedical programs (which accept MCAT and/or GRE) with my current MCAT score. I feel like my subscores arent too bad, just a screw up mainly in CARS.

I dont think I have time to study for the GRE so im hoping my MCAT score is good enough!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
thank you! whats the difference between SMP and one of those one year masters of biomedical sciences programs?

i am trying to go for the MD /:
Same thing

About the Ads