Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I genuinely can't get a clean read on where I stand. Happy to hear brutal honesty.
The numbers:
The GPA context: Freshman 3.70 → Sophomore 3.71 → Junior 3.58 → Senior 2.63. The downward trend is real but it's almost entirely concentrated in my senior year. I had some health issues that year involving ADHD medication adjustment causing severe insomnia that tanked my performance. The 4.0 in graduate medical sciences and 522 MCAT are my evidence that it's resolved and wasn't reflective of my actual ability.
Research (~900 hours):
Clinical (~700 hours):
Service / Teaching (~800 hours):
LORs:
Career interests: Academic medicine, AI integration in clinical settings. Leaning toward pathology, radiology, neurology, and neurosurgery.
My honest confusion: I've been told the 4.0 SMP + 522 MCAT essentially rebuts the undergraduate GPA narrative, and I think the research angle is genuinely unique. But I also know the 3.30 sGPA and the severe downward trend don't disappear from the header, and that a lot of T10/T20 MD programs will screen me before a human reads my file. I feel competitive for most DO programs and in-state MD programs, but am I a realistic candidate at any MD programs outside of Florida, or is the sGPA just too much of a headwind nationally regardless of everything else? Dream schools are Stanford and NYU, but I know those are long shots.
The numbers:
- cGPA: 3.41 | sGPA: 3.30 (I know, I know)
- MCAT: 522 (retake; prior 517 expired)
- MS in Medical Sciences → 4.0, this is essentially MS1 curriculum taught by med school faculty, not a soft masters
- Florida resident
The GPA context: Freshman 3.70 → Sophomore 3.71 → Junior 3.58 → Senior 2.63. The downward trend is real but it's almost entirely concentrated in my senior year. I had some health issues that year involving ADHD medication adjustment causing severe insomnia that tanked my performance. The 4.0 in graduate medical sciences and 522 MCAT are my evidence that it's resolved and wasn't reflective of my actual ability.
Research (~900 hours):
- Research assistant on a mixed-methods clinical study at a university hospital (~200 hrs). Presented at a regional undergrad research conference
- AI in Neurodegenerative Diseases research (700 hours). Co-authored grant proposals with my faculty mentor. 1 first-authored methods paper anticipated, 1 co-authored epidemiological study published
Clinical (~700 hours):
- Hospice volunteering, longitudinal (~300 hrs)
- Hospital volunteering at a cancer center infusion unit (~300 hrs)
- Outpatient specialty shadowing (60 hours in Pediatrics, Pathology, and ENT)
- Virtual shadowing through a university COM program (80 hours — unsure how adcoms weight these)
Service / Teaching (~800 hours):
- AmeriCorps ELL literacy tutor (~600 hrs)
- Adult literacy tutoring (40 hours)
- Habitat for Humanity, about a year (150 hours)
LORs:
- Research mentor (should be very strong)
- 2 science faculty letters (master's program) + 1 medical ethics professor letter
- Habitat for Humanity Program Director
- Hospice Volunteering Program Coordinator
- The Pediatrician I shadowed
Career interests: Academic medicine, AI integration in clinical settings. Leaning toward pathology, radiology, neurology, and neurosurgery.
My honest confusion: I've been told the 4.0 SMP + 522 MCAT essentially rebuts the undergraduate GPA narrative, and I think the research angle is genuinely unique. But I also know the 3.30 sGPA and the severe downward trend don't disappear from the header, and that a lot of T10/T20 MD programs will screen me before a human reads my file. I feel competitive for most DO programs and in-state MD programs, but am I a realistic candidate at any MD programs outside of Florida, or is the sGPA just too much of a headwind nationally regardless of everything else? Dream schools are Stanford and NYU, but I know those are long shots.