MD Chances for McGovern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Texas resident wanting to go to UT Medical school In Houston. I was wondering what my chances were for UT or any other school in Texas.

Current Senior, planning a gap year to do a masters program
GPA: 3.53 Biomedical Engineering
MCAT: 501 (2nd time) 499 (1st time)

Medical Volunteer/Work Hours: Over 1000 (EMT-B)
Other Volunteer Hours: ~100
Research: 4 Semesters, One paper, One Poster Presentation

White (English 2nd Language) - Lived in US for 12 years

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are well below the 10th percentile for UTH (3.6 and 506).
Have you looked into the TX DO schools?

I have but I am really determined to make it into an MD school. If I have to take more years off to work/study/take the mcat I will do so, but I would like to make it in this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have but I am really determined to make it into an MD school. If I have to take more years off to work/study/take the mcat I will do so, but I would like to make it in this year.
TX residents with modest stats are at a big disadvantage at OOS MD schools.
A total of 215 matriculated OOS last year. Most of them have extraordinary accomplishments.
What is your 1st language?

TX residents with modest stats are at a big disadvantage at OOS MD schools.
Only 215 matriculated OOS last year.
What is your 1st language?

I am not out of state (or is there a different meaning of OOS). What would your suggestion be? Do you think I could take the MCAT at the end of summer and apply to get in provided i have >510?

Russian

I am not out of state (or is there a different meaning of OOS). What would your suggestion be? Do you think I could take the MCAT at the end of summer and apply to get in provided i have >510?
Your chances (as a TX resident) are quite low for OOS MD schools. All MCAT's will be considered and the AAMC recommends that we average them.

Your stats for TX MD schools are quite low.
Barring an extraordinary personal quality or accomplishment, your TX MD chances are low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your chances (as a TX resident) are quite low for OOS MD schools.

Your stats for TX MD schools are quite low.
Barring an extraordinary personal quality or accomplishment, your TX MD chances are low.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances in the future?

I would defer to those in TX for more specific advice, but a somewhat higher gpa (around 3.7) combined with a much higher MCAT would be necessary. @wysdoc ?
I agree, taking the MCAT again only when you have really gunned for it (if studying on your own hasn't worked you might want to enroll in a study course) and your gap year taking some more upper level courses will show that you can handle the course work. Maybe do some non-clinical volunteering this year too.

Reactions: 1 user
No chance, not even for an interview at UTH. Your numbers are too low to be targeting a singular school.