What are my chances at McGovern? TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j15459

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm stressing because I'm trying to decide whether or not to cancel my retake at the end of May and keep going back and forth.
My dream school is UT Health Houston- McGovern, but I'm also applying to all TX med schools.

I made a 508 on the MCAT, but it's unbalanced with chem/phys being a 124.
I have a high GPA/sGPA: 3.9/3.7
Tons of hours from scribing, good ECs (serving on an exec board, 120+ volunteer hours, church involvement, soccer) and fairly good recs.

Is it worth keeping the retake????

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to retake the MCAT and the Texas schools like high GPA's. Apply to all the Texas schools. You cannot depend on any one school for an interview.

You will likely land a TX medical school. If you are fine going to TAMU, Tech, UTRGV, with a shot at McGovern - don't retake. If you are sure you can do better, and really want to get McGovern or UTSW, retake.

Stats are gonna comprise like 65% of the decision at McGovern, if you want the best possible shot at your dream school I would say retake, but only if you are scoring like 515ish on FLs

Status
Not open for further replies.