Chances for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulPT68

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a senior currently completing my internship for my degree and I returned back to my ultimate goal of attending PT school somewhat late; I know that's going to hold me off from applying directly out of college, but I'd really like to get the rest of my pre-reqs done and apply to enter next year. My stats currently are as follows
Degree- Public Health Studies
cGPA-3.2 (I'm also getting 12 hrs of credit factored in for my GPA)
pGPA- around 2.9 (I know this is low, but I have about 16 hrs of anatomy and physics left to do.)
GRE- Verbal-158, Quant-150, Analytical-5.0

My grades from my freshman and sophomore year aren't all that, and I think that's primarily because I was playing football at a CUSA school. My GPA does have an upward trend literally every single semester. I'm going to live at home and work as a tech while I finish out my pre-reqs, and my goal is to get around 100 other hours in 4 different settings. I'd like to stay on the east coast, but it's not a must. I guess the main question is, someone please tell me I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You're stats seem okay, definitely get that pGPA up! Your verbal GRE and Analytical is awesome! Maybe try getting your quantitative a little higher. Make sure you get As in A&P, those are extremely important and will help boost your gpa! Try to get a well rounded background in settings (don't just stay in one area) and if you have time, volunteer outside of your shadowing time! I think that is something that helped stand me out against other applicants. Try to get close with the therapists you shadow, as you will need letters of rec from them. I think you have a solid chance as long as you get that gpa up!

Reactions: 1 user
You're stats seem okay, definitely get that pGPA up! Your verbal GRE and Analytical is awesome! Maybe try getting your quantitative a little higher. Make sure you get As in A&P, those are extremely important and will help boost your gpa! Try to get a well rounded background in settings (don't just stay in one area) and if you have time, volunteer outside of your shadowing time! I think that is something that helped stand me out against other applicants. Try to get close with the therapists you shadow, as you will need letters of rec from them. I think you have a solid chance as long as you get that gpa up!

Thanks for the reply! So do you think if I finish out with straight As in anatomy and physics, coupled with an upward trend in grades and having good shadowing and volunteering experiences, I could get away with not retaking my earlier prereqs? It was a long time ago when I struggled with those, and I hope that acing anatomy and the like will really show my growth as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your grades in those prereqs? I know some schools won't accept prereqs with a C or lower

Hello everyone, I'm a senior currently completing my internship for my degree and I returned back to my ultimate goal of attending PT school somewhat late; I know that's going to hold me off from applying directly out of college, but I'd really like to get the rest of my pre-reqs done and apply to enter next year. My stats currently are as follows
Degree- Public Health Studies
cGPA-3.2 (I'm also getting 12 hrs of credit factored in for my GPA)
pGPA- around 2.9 (I know this is low, but I have about 16 hrs of anatomy and physics left to do.)
GRE- Verbal-158, Quant-150, Analytical-5.0

My grades from my freshman and sophomore year aren't all that, and I think that's primarily because I was playing football at a CUSA school. My GPA does have an upward trend literally every single semester. I'm going to live at home and work as a tech while I finish out my pre-reqs, and my goal is to get around 100 other hours in 4 different settings. I'd like to stay on the east coast, but it's not a must. I guess the main question is, someone please tell me I have a chance?

Don't bother retaking your GRE, unless you are trying to get in somewhere very competitive. Do your research, and apply strategically. Any C's in a prereq retake forsure, even if it was awhile ago. I'm going to guess you have at least one C due to the lower prereq GPA?

Thanks to both of you. My C's were in chemistry from freshman year back when I was playing football. I know that's no excuse, and I know I can do way better. I'll retake them if I don't get in this cycle, but I'm only going to have time to complete anatomy/physiology, physics, and exercise physiology for this cycle so they'll have to wait. I'm hoping that straight A's in those last 19 credits will 1) Really give that Prereq GPA a boost and 2) Demonstrate my growth as a student and determination to become a PT.
As for dpt..2021..I'm not looking to go anywhere super-competitive. My DREAM school is UNC, but I'm realistic about that and they require 40th percentile in both sections of the GRE in one sitting, and I definitely don't see myself as competitive there. So my number 1 school is Western Carolina (super affordable and love the mountains). I'd like to stay in-state to minimize costs, but I'm willing to go elsewhere and apply for residency for years 2 and 3.

Again, thank you both so much for your feedback.

Observation hours, and volunteer work will take you far! Definitely do your best to get the highest grade possible for A&P and physics/whatever other prereqs you have left!

So your GREs are pretty good. Definitely don't slack on whatever prereq courses you have left.

If you do decide to apply this coming June/July, make sure you complete and e-submit the PTCAS application as soon as possible. Every admin will tell you to apply EARLY. DO NOT WAIT.

So I've taken a look at PTCAS' stats pdf document thingy(easily google-able) from 2016-2017, and there's criterion for letters of recommendation. Make sure those you put down as your letters of rec truly know, like you, and believe that you can become a good PT. My GRE scores are only slightly above average and my GPA is below average, but I got in to multiple schools with letters of rec from people I really like and trust that like me back. From one of my interviews, I was told my personal statement was also really good. Because my scores/grades don't really stand out and my two volunteering/shadowing experiences were minimal, there's no way I got in without good letters of recs and essays.

So I'd weigh your letters of rec and how strong your personal statement is too, to help you decide if there's a chance. So far you've got good GRE, and it'll be up to you to decide if your GPA is good after all your classes finish.

Just to give you an idea, my GPA is around 3.2, prereqs gpa is about 3.3 with individual grades ranging from 2.4-4.0(no retakes). So far I've gotten in to two schools(one off of a waitlist), 2 additional waitlists, and still waiting on 4 other schools to get back to me.

Also it will depends on which programs you apply for as well.

All in all if you take into the extra criterion that I have mentioned above and they're good, I think you'd have a chance.

Let me know if you have any questions!

So your GREs are pretty good. Definitely don't slack on whatever prereq courses you have left.

If you do decide to apply this coming June/July, make sure you complete and e-submit the PTCAS application as soon as possible. Every admin will tell you to apply EARLY. DO NOT WAIT.

So I've taken a look at PTCAS' stats pdf document thingy(easily google-able) from 2016-2017, and there's criterion for letters of recommendation. Make sure those you put down as your letters of rec truly know, like you, and believe that you can become a good PT. My GRE scores are only slightly above average and my GPA is below average, but I got in to multiple schools with letters of rec from people I really like and trust that like me back. From one of my interviews, I was told my personal statement was also really good. Because my scores/grades don't really stand out and my two volunteering/shadowing experiences were minimal, there's no way I got in without good letters of recs and essays.

So I'd weigh your letters of rec and how strong your personal statement is too, to help you decide if there's a chance. So far you've got good GRE, and it'll be up to you to decide if your GPA is good after all your classes finish.

Just to give you an idea, my GPA is around 3.2, prereqs gpa is about 3.3 with individual grades ranging from 2.4-4.0(no retakes). So far I've gotten in to two schools(one off of a waitlist), 2 additional waitlists, and still waiting on 4 other schools to get back to me.

Also it will depends on which programs you apply for as well.

All in all if you take into the extra criterion that I have mentioned above and they're good, I think you'd have a chance.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks so much! Do you mind posting which schools accepted you?

University: Sam Houston

Major: kinesiology/Biology minor

Overall GPA: 3.19
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23
GRE: 155/155/3.5

Extra-Curric:
SHSU rugby
Restaurant manager (full time/ 5yrs)
Caretaker (part time/3 yrs)

Volunteer:
500 hours outpatient Ortho
20 hours inpatient neurological

Applied: Incarnate Word, Marymount, UTEP, Regis, Duquesne, hampton, Creighton

Rejections: Regis, Duquesne, hampton

Interviews: Incarnate Word, Marymount

Waitlist: UTEP, Marymount

Accepted: Incarnate Word

Just wanted to give you some more hope! I just got accepted this cycle and my stats are not great at all. For me personally I believe my essays, letters of recommendation, and my interviews helped me a ton. I definitely goofed off a bit in my early years as well. But there is definitely a chance, just keep working on it and become as competitive of an applicant as possible. Definitely look into each program you are considering and see what kind of students they typically take. Some schools will basically only look at GPA, whereas others rely rely heavily on their interviews. Just cater your applications to your strengths! Best of luck to you!