Chances for Ortho as US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zc9191

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice as to my chances of matching into an ortho residency. I'm a US IMG.

My credentials are as follows:
Step 1: 251 (Step 2 score is anticipated to be around the same if not more)
Honors and High passes in all of my 3rd year clerkships
1 publication in Ophtho (I was considering this field for a while) and another accepted abstract examining medical student education, but none in ortho (I was told by many that this is absolutely necessary if I want to go into orthopedics)
Author for ScholarRx (the company that writes First Aid)
Associate editor for my school's peer reviewed medical journal
Numerous volunteer activities and president of the Save a Child's Heart program

Given the fact that third-year is coming to a close and that I won't be able to publish any ortho research in time for the application due date, I was wondering how likely my chances would be at securing a residency position? Is it a feasible goal as an IMG? I am also considering gen surg, but have had my sight set on ortho for quite a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Million $ Mistake

This was written by a Carib student who wanted Ortho, did everything perfectly and had no success at all with Ortho

Reactions: 2 users
Just throw the kitchen sink at the wall man and hope it sticks... that's all you can do

Sounds like you need a research year if you want a fighting chance.

Reactions: 1 users
I've received mixed advice from program directors. Some of them told me to go ahead and apply as my application is strong, while others suggested a year off mostly for the networking opportunities and letter of rec. This is the reason I'm at odds

Looking for advice as to my chances of matching into an ortho residency. I'm a US IMG.

My credentials are as follows:
Step 1: 251 (Step 2 score is anticipated to be around the same if not more)
Honors and High passes in all of my 3rd year clerkships
1 publication in Ophtho (I was considering this field for a while) and another accepted abstract examining medical student education, but none in ortho (I was told by many that this is absolutely necessary if I want to go into orthopedics)
Author for ScholarRx (the company that writes First Aid)
Associate editor for my school's peer reviewed medical journal
Numerous volunteer activities and president of the Save a Child's Heart program

Given the fact that third-year is coming to a close and that I won't be able to publish any ortho research in time for the application due date, I was wondering how likely my chances would be at securing a residency position? Is it a feasible goal as an IMG? I am also considering gen surg, but have had my sight set on ortho for quite a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I absolutely agree that having solid research is essential for getting into Ortho. And as an IMG myself I know it's going to be tough. Do you have the change to do away rotations?

I absolutely agree that having solid research is essential for getting into Ortho. And as an IMG myself I know it's going to be tough. Do you have the change to do away rotations?
Yeah, I will get to do 4 away rotations in the U.S.

None. You can try though and report back. Do 4 aways and let us know if you get interviews. I honestly recommend IM and just go from there.

Reactions: 1 users