This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chances of getting in?

• Maybe

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Not a chance

• Absolutely

• Good chance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

futurepharmer2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that as long as you have a 3.0 gpa and higher then you have a chance plus your pcat score isn't that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all.

I am freaking out about my chances to get into pharmacy school.

I graduated in May with a degree in biology. My overall GPA is a 3.05 and my science GPA is a 2.8. My GPA is lower due to some health problems I suffered during college that affected the ability to perform to my full academic potential.

I took the PCAT yesterday and scored in the 65% coposite range :/ I was told this was both good and bad?
My scores as follow:
Bio PR 60
Chemical PR 32 (I ran out of time so I had to guess on a few questions :/)
Critical Reading PR: 77
Quantitative Reasoning: 53
**These are my preliminary scores and Ive not received my final scores yet.

I am spending my gap year working with in research dealing with new research medications (vaccines, compounding, ect) where I administer and compound different study medications.

I have a very strong personal statement, a pretty strong resume with a lot of volunteering, mentoring, and involvement on campus, and strong letters of recommendation. I've also done practice interviews and I was told that I did well on that.

My question is, do I have any chance of getting into pharmacy school from where I stand?
My parents want me to take the January PCAT to see if I can get my score up but I dont know if that will be too late. I've applied to mid-tier schools (ranked #25 and below because those happen to be the ones that were my choices before I knew ranking).

Id appreciate any honest feedback!

your pcat scores are somewhat subpar as the composite is below 70 percentile (the preliminary score will be 100% similar to the final score)

I wouldn't freak out so much about getting into pharmacy school now that it's really easy to get into. I would freak out more about graduating with $200k+ in loans and having trouble finding a job as the job market becomes more saturated each year.

I wouldn't freak out so much about getting into pharmacy school now that it's really easy to get into. I would freak out more about graduating with $200k+ in loans and having trouble finding a job as the job market becomes more saturated each year.
Is this the issue for certain schools or mainly pharmacy schools in california?

Is this the issue for certain schools or mainly pharmacy schools in california?
Some pharm school in california is actually very competitive.........average gpa is 3.5

Reactions: 1 user
Some pharm school in california is actually very competitive.........average gpa is 3.5
you don't wanna go to school in cali not because they are 'competitive' but because their price is absolutely too expensive and will put you at a severe disadvantage.

To be honest with you, you really need to retake the PCAT and aim for a 70+ to be considered for a good pharmacy school, 80+ for top programs. Think about this. A PCAT is exam is $210, you study and retake it, you do better and get into a good pharm school (not the rip-off or new pharm schools) and get lower tuition (saving thousands of dollars in the long haul). If you choose to keep your 53, then you are severely limiting yourself. It is subpar and you know it, because you're posting on the forum. Try your best next time.

i see this troll everywhere. While what he says it's true, not everyone goes into $200k of debt. Not everyone wants to do other careers. Not every pharmacist is unemployed. Pharmacy is not a doom and gloom, if you are clever. If you followed your own advice, you would've done something about it rather than complain. You're not warning pre-pharms. You're being a sour SDN poster.

i see this troll everywhere. While what he says it's true, not everyone goes into $200k of debt. Not everyone wants to do other careers. Not every pharmacist is unemployed. Pharmacy is not a doom and gloom, if you are clever. If you followed your own advice, you would've done something about it rather than complain. You're not warning pre-pharms. You're being a sour SDN poster.

The doom and gloom is very much warranted. Don't be delusional.

The doom and gloom is very much warranted. Don't be delusional.
Am I delusional if I agree the market is saturated, and I emphasized being clever in any job setting? lol. But thanks for the tip <3