Chances for Residency (unique profile)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthalmohope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will try to keep this as short as possible:

West Coast 3rd Year
Step 1 ~ 235
Not AOA (at least Junior AOA)

Two ophtho publications since medical school started, 4 publications with international work that I've done since medical school started, 1 ethics research publication, and I also started a nonprofit that works internationally. Really interested in this field due to my interest in international healthcare!

Members don't see this ad.

Will try to keep this as short as possible:

West Coast 3rd Year
Step 1 ~ 235
Not AOA (at least Junior AOA)

Two ophtho publications since medical school started, 4 publications with international work that I've done since medical school started, 1 ethics research publication, and I also started a nonprofit that works internationally. Really interested in this field due to my interest in international healthcare!
Do you have a home program? Is this an allopathic school? Are you finishing your third year or just starting it?

Do you have a home program? Is this an allopathic school? Are you finishing your third year or just starting it?

Yes, I have a home program and that's where I've done the ophtho research! Yes, MD program, and just starting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have a home program and that's where I've done the ophtho research! Yes, MD program, and just starting!
Sounds like you have a unique story which could make your application stand out beyond your below the step 1 average for ophtho (244). Will you be able to do an ophthalmology elective internationally?

If I was in your shoes, I would really focus on establishing a good relationship with two of the ophthalmologists at my home program who have some sway in the department. Make it clear how happy you would be to stay at your home program. I would do one away on the west coast and one away in another region of the country where you also make it clear how happy you would be to match there. I would submit my application broadly in early august. I would be tempted to take step 2 ck early, but would only do so if I was a confident I could score >250.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be rude (Im sure OP is a great person), but Im not seeing a unique story. Is that a stand out number of publications? Is international work that unusual?

International work is not unique, but I personally would consider starting a nonprofit organization unique (but not unheard of) among applicants....additionally it sounds like the OP has been working on that since medical school started making it likely more substantive than most applicants international experiences (typically one or a few short term trips)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds like you have a unique story which could make your application stand out beyond your below the step 1 average for ophtho (244). Will you be able to do an ophthalmology elective internationally?

If I was in your shoes, I would really focus on establishing a good relationship with two of the ophthalmologists at my home program who have some sway in the department. Make it clear how happy you would be to stay at your home program. I would do one away on the west coast and one away in another region of the country where you also make it clear how happy you would be to match there. I would submit my application broadly in early august. I would be tempted to take step 2 ck early, but would only do so if I was a confident I could score >250.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Not to be rude (Im sure OP is a great person), but Im not seeing a unique story. Is that a stand out number of publications? Is international work that unusual?

International work is not unique, but I personally would consider starting a nonprofit organization unique (but not unheard of) among applicants....additionally it sounds like the OP has been working on that since medical school started making it likely more substantive than most applicants international experiences (typically one or a few short term trips)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks so much for responding! I will probably not do an international ophthalmology rotation, but I have come to know the folks in my department fairly well. I've been working on the nonprofit since undergrad, and it's something that plays a big part of my life! I definitely am aware that my story isn't all that unique, but I think that some of my experiences are unique and I believe that my research projects give me a diverse scope (or so I hope).

I agree... It might not be all that unique, but how you present yourself and write your app will help make you a competitive applicant. Though, it might be a challenge to stay west coast with your step1 score. If that's your goal I would work on strengthening relationships with your home program and considering an away rotation on the west coast as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I agree... It might not be all that unique, but how you present yourself and write your app will help make you a competitive applicant. Though, it might be a challenge to stay west coast with your step1 score. If that's your goal I would work on strengthening relationships with your home program and considering an away rotation on the west coast as well.

Thanks for your response @DrZeke ... I think my most important question at this point (of course this is assuming I do well on clinical rotations) is if I should even apply to an Ophtho residency... do I actually have a chance at all? I have no preference of program/location, I'd be happy at most places I believe!

Thanks for your response @DrZeke ... I think my most important question at this point (of course this is assuming I do well on clinical rotations) is if I should even apply to an Ophtho residency... do I actually have a chance at all? I have no preference of program/location, I'd be happy at most places I believe!

I think you have a shot. If it's what you want then apply. Don't settle unless you would be happy settling on a different field without having regrets.

You are a strong candidate, those are average scores. What will hurt you is a lack of confidence in yourself during any form of communication with admissions related people at any ophthalmology department. You need to walk around and interact with people as if this is the only field you want to do and your back up is to re apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
You are a strong candidate, those are average scores. What will hurt you is a lack of confidence in yourself during any form of communication with admissions related people at any ophthalmology department. You need to walk around and interact with people as if this is the only field you want to do and your back up is to re apply.

Agreed. I was asked by multiple interviewers what my back-up was. Being confident is very important, especially if you're coming from a lesser known school (like me) or are an average applicant. The OP has above average research experience (6 publications, half ophtho and half more unique), so I would hang my hat on that. I think it's important to sell a product to them. If you're passionate about research/international work, make sure that comes through. They have to differentiate us somehow, and many applicants don't have a "thing" that comes through on their application. Also, a strong (>250) Step 2 would surely help.

Reactions: 1 users

Agreed. I was asked by multiple interviewers what my back-up was. Being confident is very important, especially if you're coming from a lesser known school (like me) or are an average applicant. The OP has above average research experience (6 publications, half ophtho and half more unique), so I would hang my hat on that. I think it's important to sell a product to them. If you're passionate about research/international work, make sure that comes through. They have to differentiate us somehow, and many applicants don't have a "thing" that comes through on their application. Also, a strong (>250) Step 2 would surely help.

That's a good point, I will definitely make sure that I focus on my strengths and consider taking Step 2 early if I feel that a high score is achievable!