Chances for someone late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCMaude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone provide insight as to what my chances are for getting into a school late in the cycle? By the time I write my personal statement and my transcripts get to AACOMAS, it will be September, so I will likely not be "complete" at each school until late October.

-taking the MCAT 8/5, sorry to have only an approximation, but I'm predicting a 28-31 based on practice.
-AACOMAS sGPA 3.59, cGPA 3.50
-1 year full-time research experience, under an NP for the most part
-1 1/2 years full-time AmeriCorp volunteer at community health center (where I also shadowed an MD and a PA for a few months each, but only one day a week so I don't think this is that significant)
-plans to start shadowing a DO soon and to take biochemistry
LOR's from o-chem professor, CEO of community health center, and MD. Could possibly get a DO letter from who I will be shadowing.

Looking to apply to:

Western/COMP
ATSU/SOMA
PCOM
NYCOM

Thank you for your input everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you definitely have a shot with your gpa and your projected MCAT. I applied in October-November, and got several interviews. DO schools generally have a longer time frame for what is considered "early". What is your state of residence? I know PCOM is slightly regionally biased, as well as NYCOM, but I think if you get towards the upper end of your projected MCAT you would definitely be competitive for any DO school in the country.