Chances for sophomore with a 3.1 cum. :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a junior in the fall. Spring 08 I ended with a 3.6 taking 17 credits and fall 07 I had a 3.3 something. I'm definitely on an uptrend but even if I can pull >3.5s for the rest of college is it going to happen since I did so horrible my first year? My second semester I got 3 Bs and a C and ended with a 2.8 something. So if you take those 3 g.p.a.s and just imagine what my first semester g.p.a. must of been if I still only have a 3.1 you can understand why I'm worried. I feel like since my first semester is most likely what they will see when the see my transcript, I'm automatically going to be put in the rejection pile.

The only thing I think I have going for me is that I plan to stay an extra year as an undergrad. The semester after I apply to med school I'm also thinking about studying abroad in mexico or costa rica to help work on my spanish which if I can speak it fluently should definitely give me a boost. I've been working in a hospital since I was 17 and don't plan to quit so that should help as well. I also have other ideas for good things to do for ECs so hopefully those credentials will be better than most applicants.

Is my g.p.a. just going to keep me out though? I plan to have at least a 3.6 by the time I graduate, which will wind up being a 3.5 or high 3.4 because I retook two classes. Hopefully I'll kill the MCATs but of course that can't be assumed. In addition to studying for the exam, I'm also going to be taking a physiology class for my major and then a genetics course next summer so hopefully that doesn't phase me in preparing for the august exam.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can finish up with a 3.4 or so, you're in great shape. If you don't pull damn near a 4.0 next year, you might consider applying after your senior year so that you have more time to improve your overall GPA.

Trends are very important. Try to get As in as many Science courses as you can moving forward. You can stay five years or graduate in four and take some additional undergrad Science courses at a local four year University.

High MCATs can negate a weak GPA much more effectively than the other way around.

If you can finish up with a 3.4 or so, you're in great shape. If you don't pull damn near a 4.0 next year, you might consider applying after your senior year so that you have more time to improve your overall GPA.

Yea that's what I was planning on doing. By the time I'm an actual senior my g.p.a should be at least a 3.5 and then I'll have an additional year to improve it more. So I was going to apply then. This way my MCAT scores won't be too old since I plan on taking them next summer which will be the year before I apply.

Thanks guys.