Chances for top 10 surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoopshoop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Looking for advice about whether I have a good chance at applying for top surgery programs - mostly worried about my lack of research while in medical school and don’t know how much that should hold me back or make me apply elsewhere:

Woman at a top 10 medical school
Step 1 > 260, Honors in all rotations
Clinical letters of rec should be strong, unfortunately don’t have a research mentor or a longstanding letter
3 publications, 2 first authors from undergrad and 1 4th author very low impact paper as a medical student

What should I be doing from now until September to maximize my chances at matching at a top surgery program? I am interested in fellowships, like surgical oncology, and academic practice in the future. Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you know already what your application is missing - get your name on some papers. Ask the residents at your home program if they’d like some help with ongoing research that will warrant your name in the byline.

Hi everybody,

Looking for advice about whether I have a good chance at applying for top surgery programs - mostly worried about my lack of research while in medical school and don’t know how much that should hold me back or make me apply elsewhere:

Woman at a top 10 medical school
Step 1 > 260, Honors in all rotations
Clinical letters of rec should be strong, unfortunately don’t have a research mentor or a longstanding letter
3 publications, 2 first authors from undergrad and 1 4th author very low impact paper as a medical student

What should I be doing from now until September to maximize my chances at matching at a top surgery program? I am interested in fellowships, like surgical oncology, and academic practice in the future. Thanks for all your help!

Maybe get your name on 1-2 projects that will count as "research experience." There's not enough time for a bunch of publications.

I would focus on getting high-quality LORs, which come from performing well on Sub-Is with famous attendings, which should be plentiful if you're at a top 10 school.

I would also go to the ACS meeting in SF this fall, and use it as a chance to network. As a part of that, I would join the Assoc of Women Surgeons and see if you can match up with a mentor.

I also think establishing a social media presence is an under-rated way to promote yourself. This is kind of silly and narcissistic, but it works...make a Twitter account, follow a bunch of surgeons, and retweet their stuff, occasionally interacting with them if you can think of something smart and/or funny to say. It helps them remember you.

Once you've done that, the rest is chance and merit mixed together. You will match somewhere nice regardless, given your pedigree, so I'd spend some time trying to find a program that's the right fit for your goals and your learning style.

Members don't see this ad :)
All those programs are top 10 programs...

A top 10 program (which doesn't exist...top 10 in what, judged by whom?)?

You need to look into programs you would be interested in, and see what you can find out about those programs,about who you may know that knows people them. Letter writers and who they know make a big difference. Several programs that were considered by some as 'top 10' programs were a phone call away for me, and my step was lower and I didn't have research in med school (was aoa, which you haven't mentioned...aoa will definitely help at programs that have >50% aoa).