Chances for TX MD? - TX Res 3.45c, 4.0s 29yo non-trad Marine Vet Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gargomel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post! Really appreciate any (blunt) feedback on my chances here. I won't bore you ALL with all the details, but here's where I'm at:

Chances for TX MD?
-Non-trad (29yo) (USMC veteran)
-TX Res
-3.45u, 4.0s (admittedly only 2 science courses into post bacc thus far)
-MCAT TBD

I will finish post bacc pre-reqs at UTSA (hopefully April 2013) for next application cycle (TMDSAS opens 1 May). I understand that it's virtually impossible to give me a solid answer w/out MCAT, but I guess I'm more looking for what I would need to get on MCAT to get into TX MD program (any acceptance DEF works, but most interested in UTHSCSA, UTH, UTMB, BCOM). Solid EC's (worked for the DoD for the better part of a decade as Senior Analyst), but zero clinical volunteer/shadow at this point. This is a COMPLETE career change, but I am all in with this decision. I can't overstate how much I want to become a physician. I plan on amending the lack of clinical research/experience SOMEWHAT between now and April with and and all experience and volunteer work I can find when I move back to TX. Keep in mind, though, married with our first child due in Jan '13 :))) and working full-time throughout.

Also, regarding the timeframe of post bacc work:
Must I finish each and every pre-req BEFORE 1 May when app cycle opens? Or can I take fewer classes between now and then with the intent to finish by end of Summer or even Fall?

Lastly, I fit into all TX res req's (HS grad, birth, lived there 3 yrs prior to grad, etc) but with a small caveat to residing there for 1 yr. I'm moving back to TX in the next few weeks, and will meet the res req late in the cycle (but still before deadline). Will I be considered TX res by virtue of my move date being 1 yr from App deadline? Will TMDSAS consider me OOS, then change my status later in the cycle?

Sorry for the long post, MUCH appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Get some volunteering (more important than shadowing, but don't neglect it either) and you should be relatively competitive for UTHSCSA, TTUHSC, TAMU, and maybe UTMB. I think UTH and Baylor will be harder, but not out of reach. Most of the aforementioned schools seem to really value life experience, particularly military vets.

Study hard, do well on your MCAT, and I'm confident you'll see some love from at least a few TX schools.

Thanks Slack3r, it's good to know that I've got a shot. If I do get those volunteer hrs (and maybe and EMT-B if possible) like I plan, what kind of MCAT should I be aiming at for UTHSCSA/UTMB/TTUHSC/TAMU and then for UTSW/Baylor? I've checked out the MSAR, but of course those stats are more geared for traditional applicants and students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is in good shape thus far, hopefully you can keep up the good grades in post-bacc, TX schools seem to stress GPA over MCAT by quite a bit (average MCAT for most Texas schools is upper 20's, save Baylor/UTSW).

EC's seem fine, and altruism is definitely checked off your list with you being a marine vet, but schools will want you to get some clinical exposure, so start volunteering/shadowing ASAP.

Best of luck!

Fair enough. And to the question about my Pre-Reqs scheduling...

Do I need to have ALL pre-req's complete to apply? TMDSAS opens 1 May, so can I be continuing to finish the pre-req's over the summer and even the fall? I've got my first child due in January, so I was hoping I could spread out the courses a little so I can have time for my family AND to study for MCAT AND I work full time.

Does anyone know if ALL pre-reqs need to be done to apply in May?

Well military experience is pretty much the best possible EC so if you keep up the great work in post-bacc and get some clinical volunteering I think you'll be golden. Make sure to take the MCAT incredibly seriously because you don't want that crap holding you back